•Interesting•

"So he's basically been taunting you for years and you're pretty sure he's into you and you're definitely into him. Is that correct?" Y/N nods, frowning at the ground. "Well, honestly I think you should tell him how you feel. He seems to feel something for you, and it's just hurting you to wait in silence, " Their therapist writes something down, Y/N sighing.

"If only it was that easy. He's just- he's both my best friend and the man who hurts me the most. I'm not sure he means to exactly but I just would feel like an idiot for telling him that he's hurting me, " They put their head in their hands. "I always thought that romance was simple but I wasn't expecting this."

"Sometimes we're so afraid of our own feelings, we run away from them. Everyone has various ways of combatting these emotions, and for him, it seems he's defaulted to the middle school stereotype of being what's considered 'mean' to the person he likes, " Y/N rolls their eyes internally, remembering very clearly the first time they heard of that theory and how stupid yet clear it was. "Usually these things take time, but in this case, I think it's safer and healthier to express your feelings to him as soon as possible rather than enduring his torturous words silently. As you said, he may not intend it to be so rude, and it's possible that confessing to him will open his eyes, showing him that that's not okay to speak to someone who loves him in that manner, " Y/N scoffs, shaking their head quickly.

"Oh- I- I never said I loved him, " They deny, their therapist smiling gently.

"You didn't say those words, but you did. It's written all over your face, " Y/N gulps, feeling themselves grow a little embarrassed. "It's not something to be ashamed of Y/N. Love is not something that can be wasted or all used up. So you are free to love regardless of anyone's feelings, and if you're lucky, you will be loved in return."

Y/N blinks at the ground, running over those words in their mind. Love isn't something that can be wasted. Love and be loved in return. In the end, that's all they really wanted. In some way, they knew their therapist was correct. They did love Mark, regardless of the social norms. And they felt that somehow, Mark loved them too- in his own twisted way.

Y/N was utterly dumbfounded. So much so that they finally told their therapist about Mark. Mark. The man they spent nights on end dreaming about while almost crying in the day from his words. He didn't mean to hurt them so badly, he was simply a clueless man also confused about romance. Mark seemed to flirt one moment and harm them the next without any real rhyme or reason to it. Y/N was lost and in need of his attention in a different way, and they were going to try their best to shift to it.

"Quitting time Y/N, " Y/N lifts their head up, realizing they were zoning out and staring at their desk, offering a weak smile.

"You out of here Mark?" They ask, checking the time.

"Yeah. You coming?" Y/N rubs their eyes tiredly, nodding after a moment.

"Yeah sure. Give me a second, " They stand up, gathering their things.

"Daydreaming were you? Sure seemed into it, " Y/N just laughs a little in response, sniffling.

"Let me just go and get my papers off the printer, " They say mindlessly, purposefully trying to be dry as to avoid any degradation today. Mark says nothing as they go, rubbing their eyes again as they watch the last few things print, humming softly.

Love isn't something that can be wasted. Y/N chews on their lip, nervousness rolling through them. Is tonight the night I confess? What am I supposed to say? 'Hey by the way I think I'm into you so please stop hurting my feelings.' I don't even know how to introduce this all I- They shiver, feeling a presence in the room, gulping. Showing just how vulnerable they really were, Mark steps up behind them, placing his hand on the wall in front of them as he leans into Y/N's ear, their eyes widening and heart racing as his breath sends a chill through them.