64. dancing in the moonlight

august 14, 1977

 A month had gone by since the incident with Evan Rosier, or as they had been keeping track of time, five encounters with death eaters. 

They left the motel that night and went to the woods again. Over the next two weeks they bounced in between campsites, beaches, and motels before they came back to the Tonks' house for the full moon on July 30th. 

They stayed there a week after the full moon before setting off to another campsite. After that encounter they headed to where they were now. They currently had sent up camp on a hillside in the country. 

Selene was laying on the hill, looking at the stars. She was exhausted from all the running, they all were. But it was only two more weeks until they went back to school. And what could happen in two weeks?

She was unconsciously feeling the scar on her neck, from where Evan cut her. It had taken a while to full heal, just as she had after the incident. 

The guys weren't sure what exactly happened that night that made her so shaken up, but the next week she had just been quiet and withdrawn, very out of character. 

Remus thought it was because for a moment it felt like Evan actually was going to kill her, I mean they all knew he wanted to but when the blade pierced her skin, he thought something must've switched in her mind.

James thought it had to do with Romilda. I mean as much as she hated her, Selene was friends with her during the year, or at least she thought she was, and not only was the Rosier girl dead now, she had killed herself because of Selene, that ought to set her off.

Sirius and Peter agreed with both and them and said it was probably a combination of both of those things and some others as well and they would do best not to push her, and just let her talk to them herself. 

Selene had been a lot better after their visit to the Tonks. She talked a lot with Andromeda, and after that was at least partially back to being herself, they still didn't talk about that night though, they never did.

 But there she laid, alone, when James came walking over and laid down next to her. The other three boys were sitting around the fire drinking firewhiskey, where James had just been.

"Hey" he said

"Hey" Selene said back, both of them looking up at the stars. The girls mind was connecting stars and wondering how many more there were she couldn't see. James was thinking about her, and wondered what her mind was thinking.

"Here" he handed her a glass, filled halfway with firewhiskey. 

"Thanks" she whispered taking a long sip, leaving them is silence once again. 

"Did you know that a lot of the stars in the sky are already dead?" she broke the silence.

"What do you mean?" James asked curiously

"Most of the stars we see have died. They no longer give off light but they once shined so bright that we are still seeing them." she explained

"Wow" James whispered looking up at the sky

"Summer's almost over" he said finally. She nodded. 

"I know it's been pretty shitty, but I'm thankful that I wasn't alone, I really couldn't have done it without you" she finally looked at him. 

"We were glad to be here, we love you Selene, all of us" he looked back at her. Selene was reminded once again how lucky she was to have them. She suddenly felt bad for being so distant