15. back to school

Selene spent the rest of the break staying civil with her family, merely keeping up the act her parents wanted to see, but was careful as to not over do it.

She slowly migrated back to the huge library, busying herself with old novels dating back to hundreds of years.

It was finally the last day before she was to return to Hogwarts, just the thought of it filled her heart with hope and anticipation. Hogwarts was home, it was where Remus was, and it was Quidditch games, and Halloween feasts, and Narcissa. It was all the best things in her life.

She sat in the library during sunset reading an old book on herbology when her brother joined her in the room. He was tall and bleach blonde with an emotionless look contstanly carried around his face.

"Ahem" he cleared his throat. Selene looked up from her book.

"What's up" she asked

"You're leaving tomorrow" he stated, though it kinda seemed like a question. They had never had a good relationship, it was always awkward and forced. So at a certain point they just stopped forcing it, they rarely contacted each other, they made no effort to be friends, he was just like every other pure blood in her world. To Selene someone like Sirius or Regulus (despite their fake boyfriend-girlfriend facade) was far more like a big brother than Thorfinn ever was or will be.

"I am" she replied to him.

"I heard you're dating Regulus Black"

"You aren't gonna get all big brother on me are you?" she joked, he laughed a little

"No no, I just thought I should tell you" he looked down, "Don't start planning the wedding"

"What does that mean" she asked

"Walburga was livid, to say the least, after what happened at the ball, from what I've heard." he started, "and despite your boyfriend's pleading, they called off the betrothal or any chance of it" he explained. Selene's heart dropped, that meant...

"So you already know you will likely become betrothed to-"

"Theodore Nott" she finished. She always had the hope, the hope that the Noble House of Black would get their son anything he wanted, including Selene, she knew they could've, they here higher than the Notts in the wizarding world, they were more dangerous, more respected, more feared.

Selene never thought for a second about the betrothal or any of the consequences for her actions when she raised her wand to Walburga. She would like to say she regretted it now, but she didn't regret it, she would do it again in fact, she would do anything to help Sirius, but that didn't change the sinking feeling in her chest.

"I know we aren't close, but I'm sorry, I know what you're feeling," he started. Selene forgot for a moment that Thorfinn dated a halfblood Slytherin girl in his fifth year, when it was time to become betrothed, he proposed to her.

She was 'mysteriously' killed a week later.

Selene watched her brother lash out at their parents, who obviously killed the girl, and they didn't even have the decency to deny it. He was heartbroken for the longest time, he almost joined the other side of the war, but one day he was fine, he no longer mourned, he was once again loyal, he even pledged his loyalty to the dark lord and got his mark later that week.