•part twenty-two•

••••••

••••••

Somerset House, 1813.

I have always thought that an appreciation of the arts is what lifts us beyond mere animals. It stirs the passions and moves the spirit, and, this author hopes, inspires newsworthy pursuits.

A new wing at Somerset House is to be opened today, where several attractions will be on display like the lovely Miss Marina Thompson, newly recovered from her mysterious illness and expected to finally rejoin the season.

Of course, there is today's royal attraction as well, Prince Friedrich of Prussia. His Highness has come to our shores in want of a fine Fräulein. Could this be the reason a certain language tutor has been seen visiting Cowper House all week?

Let's never forget our Spanish suitor as well. Sir Tomas is still gracing our city with his presence, some might even say, even for far longer than he first had been heard saying. Could it have to do anything with Miss Clara Bridgerton, the only debutante this gallant Sir has been seen interested in? I certainly hope this lovely gentleman meets a fine woman soon, because chances are he could wait years for Miss Bridgerton, no matter how smitten he thinks he is. No matter how nice he thinks she is to him.

Because there is rarely anything ever genuine about Miss Clara Bridgerton. There are always motives with this girl but I do hope not with Sir Tomas.

••••••

SOMERSET house attracted many people of the ton on a daily occasion, bringing cultured people to admire art and everything combined with it. The day after the Queen's Ball, Clara and her family all found themselves in the newly opened wing of the Somerset house as well, Violet taking all of her present children with her, even the youngest ones.

Clara had to walk next to her mother, of course, feeling exhausted and incredibly sore. She had slept approximately 4 hours after coming back from Jim's Pub, Jennie forcing her out of bed just because they had to be here. However, Clara cared less about her exhaustion, her mind still plagued by what had happened the previous night.

Simon and her had almost kissed. It still felt obscene to realize that they were so close to doing something unthoughtful, something Clara knew would've created a real issue if not Simon's restraint. And yet, even if in a way Clara felt relieved he did not kiss her, another part of her felt disappointed. Many questions, more so insecurities filled her head. She wondered whether she had misread Simon's intentions? Whether Clara saw something which was not even there? Whether she was the only one to feel things for the duke?

Clara did not know, but as much as she tried to silence her rapidly spreading uncertainties, in the end they hit her in the face twice as hard. So, the unmarried girl tried to steer her mind clear off of Simon, even if she still felt his arms on her or his lips on her hot as coal cheek.