•part seventeen•

••••••

••••••

Grosvenor Square, 1813.

Dearest gentle reader, it is often said that those who marry in haste must repent at leisure, a sentiment that is clearly shared by Miss Daphne Bridgerton, who has apparently rejected not one, not two, but three proposals already this week.

Some believe she is showing admirable forethought in her deliberations, but I would venture a different conjecture, that she, like this author and perhaps another popular lady of the ton, is still waiting on the only suitor of note.

What is even more peculiar, is the newest addition to the ton. Sir Tomas Serrano continues to grace us with his presence in London, many hoping he'd stay until the very end of this season, perhaps even with an english bride. Many ambitious mamas had already tried to push their daughters amidst the kind Sir's circle, none to have worked, because seemingly the handsome Sir prefers the most bizarre company of Miss Clara Bridgerton.

Now, dear reader, one might say that poor Sir Tomas is not the first man to try and fight for Miss Clara Bridgerton's heart, but shockingly, this one she is not pushing away!

We shall never uncover what is so interesting about Sir Tomas and why Miss Clara prefers exactly his company, but when you look at that posture and that kind smile, it is not very hard to fall for even the most frozen hearts.

I sense many changes in the near future, perhaps for both Bridgerton debutantes. Is it a time both sisters get married, or not, we shall soon see.

••••••

A week or so later, Clara still found her freedom to be the best thing that has ever happened to her. With many tiring attendances and balls, she found comfort in having no need to meet new lords and dance with them, nor did she need to act like she enjoyed their comfort.

However, she did enjoy seeing Violet's stress when Clara would push away most her past's suitors, horribly enough, finding her mother's situation rather amusing. Clara did not wish to say Violet deserved it, but after two years of constant torture and lectures, it was time her mother got to know what it felt like to be pressured.

And even then, Violet's current situation could've been much worse if not for her hope to pair Clara off with Tomas. Clara knew Violet saw Sir Tomas as Clara's redemption, putting all of her energy in pairing the two of them up, but Sir Tomas was just a friend to Clara. She found her shared humor in him, his stories fascinating the girl to a point she realized the two of them actually looked like they were courting.