•part twenty-seven•

••••••

••••••

Lady Throwbridge's residence, 1813.

As we all know, there is nothing this author loves more than a scandal, and tonight's soiree promises more than its fair share, courtesy of the recently widowed Lady Throwbridge.

Some may call her celebrations too provocative, and I would caution any young lady from getting caught up in the sensual nature of her fêtes.

For one scandalous move between an unwed couple, a wayward touch, or heaven forbid, a kiss, would banish any young lady from society in a trail of ruin.

••••••

CLARA stared at the mirror in her bedroom, adding a few last touches to her appearance as she and her family were attending the recently widowed Lady Throwbridge's party. Clara wore a beautiful pastel cream dress with a few touches of black since the theme still revolved around the lady's diseased husband.

Clara found herself wanting to stay home, but Violet's need to make her go overpassed her reaction to seeing Clara's expression before. Or how unhappy she was. So now, instead of getting some time to stay with herself or to think about Simon leaving, Clara had to wear her best dress and go to a ball, where she'd have to parade herself in front of Sir Tomas. Just because she felt hurt. Just because Sir Tomas was truly just a second option because Simon chose to leave her.

The girl tried not to hurt this much, but it was impossible and every passing minute proved to create more suffering. Clara stared at the mirror, at herself and found nothing good to say about her expression before just turning around and pausing in surprise when she found Daphne in her bedroom. Daphne was ready as well, looking at Clara's appearance but she did not compliment Clara, said nothing at all. Clara moved to grab her gloves and offered Daphne a raised eyebrow. "When did you manage to sneak in like that?"

Daphne, who Clara wondered why she was here, continued to observe Clara as if nervous to speak. Clara started to put on her gloves, hearing Daphne's slight grunt. "I entered as I always do, you just seemed too deep in mind to notice," Daphne commented in a grumble and grew silent again, which bothered Clara so she raised her eyes up and gave Daphne a look to say what she wanted or to leave. Daphne narrowed her eyes slightly but then decided to speak, telling Clara something she had no care for. "I know you do not like when I do this, but I still, after everything you have done, care for your opinion. Should I marry Prince Friedrich?"

Clara, who was still busy putting her gloves on, paused and met Daphne's slightly suspicious glance, truthfully, not knowing what to answer her sister. Surely, Clara wanted to act selfishly and to tell Daphne that she would never have a chance with Simon, but that was just too cruel. And Simon did not deserve two sisters fighting for him, not when he had hurt Clara herself. However, Clara knew Daphne wanted a love match, and honestly Clara wished it for Daphne too. And it was clear she did not love the Prince, if what, in Clara's mind, Daphne needed someone wilder, someone who'd be the opposite of her.