•part nine•

••••••

••••••

Regent's Park, 1813.

There will forever be just two words that come to this author's mind, the morning after any good party: "shock" and "delight".

Well, dear reader, the scandalous accounts from last night's soiree at Vauxhall are quite shocking and delightful indeed.

Emerging, phoenix-like from the ashes of irrelevance, is one Miss Daphne Bridgerton. The illustrious debutante was seen dancing not once, but twice with the season's most eligible and most uncatchable rake, the Duke of Hastings.

Along with her sister, Miss Clara Bridgerton was also seen chatting with Lord Gale Ashwood, a young and quite handsome gentleman. Though he seemingly lacks character to the Duke of Hastings, Miss Bridgerton seemed to enjoy his company if the first impression of what enjoyment to Miss Bridgerton is was correct to the ton's eyes.

Perhaps, opposites attract? However, one must only guess. I, on the second thought, can openly place my bets that Lord Gale Ashwood will not be the one to marry Miss Clara Bridgerton. Who will? Now that is a question worth millions of answers.

••••••

CLARA could only focus on the river next to her as she promenaded with Lord Gale Ashwood in the Regent Park. This had not been her intention, but, even if she had avoided the man for the remainder of the evening, Ashwood had come to call on her the next morning, and Violet agreed most urgently. Clara could only smile tightly, not having any saying in it and left with the lord, whom the light of day still did not awaken.

Gale Ashwood was dull. At least that was Clara's impression of him. She did not know the man enough to judge, but he seemed closed off and definitely not on a purpose as if to keep a secret.

As they promenaded in the park early in the morning, Gale could only talk about his travels as if he did not know any other conversation topics to draw Clara in with. She could only listen and answer once in a while, hoping that this would soon end. Especially when the passing people stared at her in confusion, more so wicked grins as if the once unbeatable girl had been subdued. Clara really wished to show them otherwise by smacking Gale Ashwood right in the face.

However, Violet and her now controlling brother Anthony still seemed angry at Clara and the girl could not end everything so quickly, otherwise her ambitious mama and now brother would marry her off to an old and sickly man.

Gale Ashwood, though quite handsome the more she looked at him, would not become her husband as well. Clara was sure she'd only promenade with him a bit, dance if necessary, and then move on to someone more interesting, playing around but not too close to a proposal. Of course, she hated doing her part to the family, knowing she was breaking her sworn vows just to keep peace, but sometimes sacrifice was necessary if it ensured her future prospects.