•part seven•

••••••

••••••

Grosvenor Square, 1813.

Dinners are a place proper families relax and unwind. Many interesting topics can be shared as well, indeed.

Dinners can be also a time where one might talk without a fear of getting caught.

A little birdie told me that the Duke of Hastings shared a dinner with the Bridgerton family. Quite a scene it must have been!

An only child of the late Duke surrounded by not 2, not 5 but 9 brothers and sisters, all loud and with different, some might say strong personalities.

Oh, how I wonder, where the duke was seated at such a big and always chatter filled table. Whether it was Miss Daphne Bridgerton, the one who wishes to marry? Or maybe even Miss Clara Bridgerton, the one who does not? After all, the duke has been noticed speaking with both sisters as they enjoyed their time by themselves.

Fascinating.

••••••

OUT of spite for her mother, Clara chose a seat next to Simon as they finally settled to dine the evening after their conversation at the opera house. Bridgerton family's dinners were never quiet, siblings always talking on top of each other to a point nobody could understand what was being said.

The siblings all loved each other despite everything and to be quiet during dinner could've only meant somebody had died or there had been a huge fight amongst some of the siblings. However, it was a rare occasion so Clara could understand why Simon had been so silent ever since they started to eat. He must have found their chatter to be quite a new experience.

Alas, the duke of Hastings was sitting in between Clara and Daphne, Clara making sure to sit next to Violet just to see her mama's annoyed face. Clara did not know why she wanted to jeopardize her mama's plan for Daphne to marry Simon, but in a way, she also thought she'd keep Simon quiet if he'd think enough was enough just by being close to him.

Not that she believed he'd reveal her secret at such an amusing dinner, but Clara knew that one could not have been more careful.

Simon did not seem bothered to sit next to her, if what whenever Clara would comment about the ongoing topic, he'd find himself listening intently, his eyes turned at her. Thankfully, Clara had learned to ignore his attempts to meet her face.

They were discussing Lady Whistledown yet again, Clara finding amusement in how everyone was so curious of who the woman was. She herself was not very keen to know, aware that if people would find out, the woman's career would be ruined. Despite Whistledown spreading the truth, she was a woman, and Clara admired her for taking such a career. But, not surprisingly, Anthony did not join Clara's inner thoughts.