•part two•

••••••

••••••

Grosvenor Square, 1813.

Dear reader,

It has been said that, "Of all bitches dead or alive, a scribbling woman is the most canine.".

If that should be true, then this author would like to show you her teeth. My name is Lady Whistledown. You do not know me, and rest assured, you never shall.

But be forewarned, dear reader, I certainly know you.

••••••

BEING home felt strange even if Clara grew up in this house. She had been so used to living with Anthony to forget how loud it usually was with three sons and four daughters still present. Nevertheless, as Clara watched Daphne get out of her dress with her lady maids present or little Hyacinth dance around like a princess, she could not feel repelled by the sight. Clara had missed home, she had missed her sisters, but she had not missed her mama's pushing and that outweighed everything else.

Sadly, Anthony said he had some business to run, which Clara knew to be Siena yet again, so she was forced to go home with the rest of her family. So far, without Violet, it was quite a pleasing moment. "You absolutely sparkled, sister!" Hyacinth told Daphne with a smile, causing the shining girl to giggle.

"Come, now," Daphne answered, always modest so Clara listened, sitting on the couch. She couldn't wait to get out of her corset and her dress, hoping to go home with Anthony. However, from what she had heard her mother say was that Lady Danbury, the notorious woman feared by many, was hosting a ball and they were invited. Clara did not wish to go, but her mama had yet to tell and force her. "I merely simpered and minced in a pretty dress like everyone else."

"Not exactly like everyone else," Francesca answered as she stood behind a sitting Eloise, the girl reading some paper Clara hadn't seen before. Eloise was in her element, she did not care for dresses or boys, and Clara loved her for it the most. However, to tell that in front of Hyacinth, Francesca or even Daphne would've equaled to the biggest shot in the head. After all, Clara was the eldest daughter and a mother figure to some of those girls.

Clara smiled at Francesca merely, being quiet and enjoying the nice smells of the room. Daphne continued to change back into her simpler dress, grinning from ear to ear. Clara could not help but want to laugh how much a woman's word made the other girls feel. To be called beautiful by a Queen equalled to finding a husband sooner, but it was not Clara's case at all. "Oh, I shall need to go and visit with Penelope," Eloise exhaled, finally raising her eyes up from the paper she had been reading. "Her presentation was anything but... What was it the queen called you again?"