•epilogue part one•

••••••

••••••

Serrano household, 1816.

A female scream rang throughout the entire house, causing every other thing to cease. The woman seemed to be in much pain as she continued to scream then pant, then scream again, a single maid rushing towards the bedroom, where the poor female was settled in, doing presumably the most painful thing a woman could experience in her life. And yet a thing they all waited for as if they waited for a miracle.

When the woman upstairs screamed again, the entire walls shaking, the duke of Hastings frowned from downstairs, the screaming far too familiar and nightmare bringing. Simon Basset felt sorry for the woman, who had to experience this, the way he had felt heartbroken his own wife had to experience something similar.

However, as the woman upstairs continued to shake the entire house as if being ripped open, another scream echoed from nearby his ear. Simon jumped slightly when a young girl, almost two years old, jumped on the sofa they were both sitting on and yelled straight into his ear, mimicking his aunt.

Simon turned to face the mischievous young girl, shaking his head at her in an unamused expression. The woman upstairs yelled again and Simon sighed deeply, hoping this would end soon before watching the girl right next to him, her face so similar to his wife's. When the girl opened her mouth to scream, being wild just like her mama would've been, Simon raising his finger up to challenge her to even open her mouth again. "Adeline," he told his daughter strictly, watching amusement dance on the girl's face as her mouth continued to part open, Adeline almost ready to scream like Daphne was screaming upstairs.

However, suddenly Adeline closed her mouth and glanced off at a table near her and her papa, seeing a bowl of ice cream Violet had prepared for her first granddaughter, her young mind calculating before she closed her mouth and caused her dad to smile proudly. "Good girl," he mused and leaned to take the bowl of ice cream, Adeline opening her mouth for her father to feed her, Simon smiling lovingly at a girl who had changed his life the same way her mother had.

Back in 1814, when the time came for Clara to give birth, Simon had been a nervous wreck. Many fears surrounded the duke back then, whether Clara would be all right, whether their child would be born healthy and strong, whether Clara would survive. Although it had been a harsh birth, when Simon welcomed his daughter into his life, when he was the one to take her into his hands, he fell hard for his baby, and until this day he still loved Adeline like crazy.

It had been quite the shock to see that Clara had birthed a baby girl since everyone had been sure it would be a boy, but nevertheless, Simon felt even a bit relieved to know his baby was a girl. For a first child, Simon feared to feel cold towards a boy like his own relationship with his father had been, but he soon learned that he would love even a son. Not that he had any children since Adeline. Not that he could after the first birth's mess or pains.