•part eighteen•

••••••

••••••

The Queen's Ball, 1813.

It seems that Miss Clara Bridgerton continues to charm the handsome Sir Tomas as the days of their first meeting pass. Always seen together dancing, one might believe that this particular Sir has captured the essence of Miss Bridgerton's heart.

However, one must not speculate, because my eyes catch all. The once seen close Miss Bridgerton and the duke had been keeping their distance apart lately, their once prospered friendship coming to a halt just when Sir Tomas showed up.

But not in the most recent celebration where the Queen and the handsome Prince of Prussia showed up, showing particular interest in the younger Bridgerton debutante.

The Duke has been seen quite calm about it, getting comfort from Miss Clara Bridgerton as they finally showed their friendship yet again. I believe it to be quite fascinating, but what would Miss Daphne or even Sir Tomas would say when they saw how fitting this friendship was? After all, eyes never lie and surely not someone like Clara Bridgerton's.

••••••

CLARA found living parrots to be the most ridiculous part of the current ball she was attending. They screeched and sang in their cages, many of the ton fascinated by the exotic birds, but Clara found their situation saddening. They were trapped in such a small space, hearing loud music and the amazed laughter of their capturers, probably afraid despite possibly having grown in the eyes of people.

And yet again, Clara felt like she could relate to the poor birds, feeling trapped in her clothes, her jewelry but especially her situation despite having freedom now. Deep down Clara was not even worried about her freedom as much as she worried about Simon Basset and his lack of attention towards her. Clara felt trapped the most when it came to feeling certain emotions over this situation, the anger but most importantly the sadness as Simon continued to avoid her as much as possible.

Clara had no idea why, but she had many theories and inquiries, all of which felt progressively worse as soon as she'd think through them. One of them was Daphne and the fact that Simon may or may not have fallen for his companion as their ruse continued to turn less fake each passing day.

Another, and quite a ridiculous one, was that Simon disliked Sir Tomas and gave Clara a cold shoulder just out of spite for him. But then again, Clara wondered, why exactly Simon would dislike a man he did not know? A man who he had yet to see as noble and quite funny at that?