•part twenty-five•

••••••

••••••

The Queen's Palace, 1813.

In a town filled with ambitious mamas and fortune-hunting gentlemen, marrying above one's station is an art form, indeed.

But Miss Daphne Bridgerton's advance from future duchess to possible princess is an achievement that even this jaded author must applaud.

However, Miss Daphne Bridgerton's change is not as surprising as it could've been if not for her older sister's suddenly changed nature too.

Poised, elegant and beautiful, Miss Clara Bridgerton has caught the eye of many more suitors after her seemingly settled decision to finally search for a husband. We do not know the reason behind this shocking change of heart, but perhaps it's a want to marry a certain Sir Tomas? They did seem to be in the clouds ever since meeting. Or, perhaps, it's the lady's only remaining chance at escaping this hectic town? After all, you can't change someone's mind overnight.

Though this author cannot dismiss the Duke of Hastings quite so soon as well. He may have let not one but two diamonds slip through his fingers for now, but I shall wager he is not a man to ever hide from a fight. Especially when it comes to the older diamond, who now shines brighter than ever.

Presumably, holding a few secrets of her own.

••••••

A few days later Clara found herself in the Queen's palace, not having thought she'd ever have to step foot inside this building again. The last time she had been in her least favorite woman's home was during Daphne's appearance in front of Her Majesty, and it seemed like that had happened years ago.

Many things had changed since that day, the day she had met Simon for the first time. Their first meeting still lingered inside of Clara's head or the turmoil of happenings after it. How he smiled at her, how he examined her whole body, surprised and unaware of who she was and why she chose such a place to drink at.

Clara did not know Simon was the duke then, but now, as she walked alongside her sister and mother, Clara wished she hadn't gotten to know Simon the way she had. She shouldn't have fallen in love with him at all, but life had a different path set out for her. At least she thought she loved Simon, because it was a new feeling, and it stemmed more than her once felt lust for a certain farm boy.

It felt strange to realize how little Clara had thought about her freedom after she finally realized who she loved. Simon was a first man she felt those feelings for and yet it had been a true disaster. She had kissed him and he had hurt her.