•part four•

••••••

••••••

Lady Danbury Estate, 1813.

Meetings can usually possess a value, or sometimes not. Surprising encounters are usually far more interesting and as Your author has heard, unexpected meetings did happen to certain young ladies during Lady Danbury's ball.

You may ask what could be so unexpected or even scandalous about encountering a new gentleman or lady, but it is the essence of  certain reactions which make meetings rather interesting to see and note.

Simon Basset, or now known as the new Duke of Hastings, was also seen in the ball, gracing our eyes with his presence and that awfully handsome face of his. He made many young ladies' hearts beat faster that evening, and by the end of it, many of the young debutantes were seen trailing behind the Duke one way or another.

The handsomest of all, the Duke was seen speaking with Miss Bridgerton as well, and shockingly, she had been noted to act gracefully and politely. Was she already aware of the Duke, or was she simply truing to find herself a best match after years of misfortune?

Many questions remain unanswered, but it is this meeting which left Yours Truly's eyes and ears wanting to see and hear more. Needn't you worry, dearest readers, something tells me this was not the last we had seen of the Duke and his potential new duchess.

••••••

HALF an hour later, Clara found herself surrounded by hungry, challenged new lords, who had yet to see how against marriage this Miss Bridgerton was. Some of them were handsome, she had to give it to them, but it was their need and will to get her which drove Clara away once again. So, after the briefest conversations with all three lords, some possibly younger than her, Clara had to excuse herself.

She did not like where this was going. It was obvious her mama had put her hands into this, ushering the lords to converse with her eldest daughter despite the rumors which circled the young girl. Clara hated it, but then again Anthony was putting all of his energy in aiding Daphne, so Clara was left alone, thus opening a door for suitors she did not want. However, for the sake of Daphne, Clara could not be mean to the lords as she usually was, because it would respond to her younger sister. Clara hated it, too. She hated how now Daphne was in the marriage market, and how her performance would mean Clara's performance and vice versa.

Clara thought that with Daphne out in the market, her own presence would be forgotten, overlooked, but during this evening, she had realized that it would become even harder to steer clear off of suitors. Things would become bleak in the future, Clara knew, but she would put even more energy in not marrying as her mother had predicted, more so forced.