•part forty-one•

••••••

••••••

Clyvedon, 1813.

The days go by as we seek for the return of the Duke and Duchess of Hastings.

However, when one's love burns as bright as theirs, it is no doubt their bliss with each other continues to shine through the entire Clyvedon castle and beyond those measures.

Leaving us to only wait for their love's fruits to blossom.

••••••

CLARA came back home cold and slightly tired. Jennie had went back to her work, leaving the duchess to enter by herself and the first thing the upset girl saw was servants carrying objects through the halls. Simon was also in the hall, ordering his men to carry furniture somewhere else, causing Clara to pause in confusion as she faced her husband, the memory from their brief morning encounter playing in the duchess' head over and over again. "What is this?" Clara spoke so Simon raised his head up quickly at the sound of her voice, smiling when he saw his beautiful and yet upset wife stand in front of him.

Simon remembered their encounter as well, aware something was bothering Clara and when he saw her slightly plagued blue eyes once again, guilt crossed his face. He knew he was not giving her enough attention anymore, busy being a duke, which was also thanks to her, and it killed him to see how much Clara seemed to suffer already. She tried not to show it, of course, but he knew her better than she knew him, and Simon wanted to ease her, to apologize. "Clara, my love," he smiled and kissed her quickly, not minding the passing servants as Clara pulled away in puzzlement, finding this behavior from Simon suspicious. "Why do you look so cold?"

Clara did not react when he touched her cold cheek, his frown making her blush, but she had other things in mind like all the furniture moving. "Is everything well?" Clara asked him quietly, feeling Simon slip his hand in her own, his hand hotter than her own. Simon raised her cold hand up to his lips and blew some of his hot breath on them to warm her up, his worried expression making Clara feel even worse. She couldn't tell him she was having doubts about being a duchess, not to him especially. Clara wondered whether Simon knew about her breakdown with Mrs. Colson, hoping that he did not since she was quite embarrassed of it already.

"Yes," Simon answered as he watched her avoid his eyes, wondering whether his raised tone at her in the morning made her feel like this. But, thinking of it more, Simon knew it was Clara and if his yelling would've made her feel hurt, she would've let him know about it. Something else bothered her and he knew he had to ask her, he already lost his chance in the morning. "I'm setting up work in the east wing."

Clara mused as she continued to look at the moving men, Simon suddenly cupping her chin as he made her look back at him. When their eyes met Clara felt like she lost her breath, quickly getting aware of what Simon was going to ask her. "Are you certain you are all right?" he then asked so Clara continued to stare at him without blinking, wanting to tell Simon everything. How overwhelmed she was with the love people gave her, how she felt locked already or how much she just wanted to go back to her Miss days. "You've been acting strange all day."