•part fifty-one•

••••••

••••••

Hastings house, 1813.

The fastest courtship upon record occurred during the markedly wet season of 1804, when Miss Mary Leopold secured a betrothal over a plate of sugared almonds and licorice in just four and a half minutes.

Of course, Miss Leopold and her new husband would leave London mere hours after their wedding.

Reason unknown.

Of all that I have imparted to you, dear reader, there is but one bit of wisdom you must heed most. One can never know the truth of a marriage hiding behind closed doors. Beware indeed, blushing newlyweds. You know not the future that awaits.

Will there be hardship or indignity? Or will one's future see the rarest accomplishment of all, a true love match?

As for which of these fates await the eager matches of the season of 1813, only two things will tell...

Time, and, as always, this author.

••••••

CLARA found herself presumably in the most boring of places she could end up in. Having to sit on a chair was easier, but nevertheless, having a portrait drawn of you felt tiring and she had sat straight for far too long already. Portraits often took hours to complete, although she had done only one before with her sisters, having found this whole experience not worth her time.

Nevertheless, Clara had to sit through it all, even with her husband nearby as he stood a bit away from her, having said no words to Clara after their strange behavior back at that Opera house. Clara had nothing to tell Simon unless he'd approach her himself, and even then she'd have a difficult time forgiving him. After all, she was carrying their child and he chose his distance. Even if Clara had said she did not need him, a part of her felt angry she'd have to do this alone, but then again it was her choice and she was not going to force Simon to do anything.

However, as Henry Granville, one of the most respected artists in the ton, continued to paint them diligently, Clara found herself wanting to tell Simon many things. One of them being how she was forced to host the end of season's ball, not wishing all of this, especially a celebration when there was nothing worth celebrated. Nevertheless, it was customary for a duke and duchess to do so and it had been ages the ton even had a duke and a duchess together.

So, in hopes that after the ball Clara would be left in privacy, she decided to take it on, being busy and yet Jennie and Mrs. Colson helped a lot. Even Violet did everything to assist her daughter, so far having told nobody except Anthony that Clara was with child. Clara appreciated her mother's help, learning from her more than she had learned before she got married.