•part thirty-five•

••••••

••••••

Grosvenor Square, 1813.

I believe congratulations are in order for the new duke and duchess of Hastings!

Once Miss Bridgerton, now Mrs. Basset, has married the duke of Hastings in a very lovely private ceremony, but those who were present did weep out of joy in seeing two young people in love as the duke finally put a ring on her finger.

And it was quite a diamond! A red ruby diamond ring, engraved as a flower with small details of green thorns on the sides. Now, none of us may know the reason of such a choice for a ring, but it must be significant to the duke and his duchess and makes it more special nonetheless.

Now with a diamond on her finger, Clara Basset has become a duchess, a title many had wanted, but not all could surely handle steadily.

I, as always, am on the positive side. Though now scared, I do not deny the new duchess will rise to her title, if not today, then perhaps later. After all, the bars are low for the ton, not having had a duchess in long 30 years.

••••••

CLARA was married. And yet it was not the most shocking fact in the world as the celebration moved to her family's home, Jennie having done a marvelous work as their hall was decorated beautifully with white flowers hanging from the ceilings. There was plenty of food to eat and even the Queen herself paid a visit, perhaps wanting to be seen on a good side to the once unmovable Incomparable.

A lot of people came to the celebration, but Clara had yet to see Simon. Her husband, who was busy talking to others as well, was a few feet away from her, their eyes briefly glancing at one another as if this was a dream. As if they hadn't just married each other. Clara noticed Simon's lack of attention to her, feeling as though the realization that they were now husband and wife drew him further away from her.

However, Clara did not wish to think so, especially not after his words to the Queen about her. Presumably the only reason Clara took the step to marry him despite having a way out of this by the Queen's help. Clara loved Simon and from his words, he seemed to love her a lot as well.

Clara continued to receive congratulations from people, who even if still gave her suspicious looks, did not seem so retched or surprised anymore that she was married to a duke. In a way, their victorious looks belittled her, made her realize that she had lost her long and hard fought war, but Simon was worth that, he was worth everything in the world. Clara wished to think she was right and that she married him because he loved her just as much as she did.