•part six•

••••••

••••••

Royal Opera House, 1813.

Ambitious mamas rejoice, for the new Duke of Hastings continues to grace our fair city with his presence. And, oh, what an impressive presence it is!

It should be noted that the duke has been overheard announcing to mamas everywhere that he has no plans of ever marrying. Sounds familiar, does it not?

This author wonders which brazen matchmaker shall rise to such a challenge, for this competition is well underway.

It has also reached Yours Truly's ears that Mr. Colin Bridgerton shall be awarded the year's grand prize when he sweeps Miss Thompson off her pretty little slippered feet.

In other news, a most peculiar suitor for Miss Daphne Bridgerton has emerged. Meanwhile Miss Clara Bridgerton continues to be free from not only ambitious lords, but from her own ambitious mama.

This Miss reminds me of our new and handsome Duke. Whether the two share common interest or not, they certainly do make this Author rather keen to see what comes up next.

••••••

ANTHONY seemed to posses no knowledge of Clara's actual first meeting with the Duke of Hastings, much to Clara's relief. She came home rather scared and uneasy, but upon seeing her brother's calm demeanor, Clara knew Simon had not told anything to her dramatic eldest brother. At least this was she figured, because when she asked Anthony whether he had met with his old university friend, he answered that he had. Clara tried to be discrete, and it worked, because despite Anthony catching onto her curiosity, did not say anything again, and the topic was finished the same way it had started.

Clara had to feel grateful to Simon since he possessed at least a bit of decency. If it would have been any other lord, and not the good kind, her secret would have been out already, and Clara's life she had built for herself would've fell like a house of cards. However, even if Simon proved to keep his tongue between his teeth, Clara still did not fully trust the man. She did not even know him well from two brief meetings, but something told her that they would certainly talk again.

Lady Whistledown, the newest and presumably the already most popular gossip columnist as of late had written about Clara and Simon, but just about their shared wish not to marry. Clara did not wish to give any heed to the woman, but she was writing about her as if she knew her secrets. Everyone soon became suspicious of the girl more, but Clara hoped that Lady Whistledown would never find out something fundamental about her. If not Simon, this unknown mysterious figure was next who could ruin Clara's life.