•part fourteen•

••••••

••••••

Grosvenor Square, 1813.

It seems that Lord Ashwood has been seen taking his tail between his legs as he rushed away from Miss Clara Bridgerton during such a lovely picnic.

It's quite surprising he lasted this long, if we're being utterly honest, but now Miss Clara has only nine more suitors to get rid of. Whether it will be hard or not relies only on how ready Miss Clara is or how pushing her Lady mother will be.

One can hope that Miss Bridgerton will certainly find her best match. Or, perhaps, she already has and is just not telling us about it?

Whether it's one of her suitors, perhaps even the duke, or someone secret, I do dream to see a day Miss Clara Bridgerton finds her love. Because even the harshest roses swoon if taken by the right hand.

••••••

CLARA stared through the carriage window as their family went home from the picnic. Everyone's day had been ruined, especially because of Nigel Berbrooke. Daphne now would have to marry him, and the girl could not do anything to stop this nonsense from happening.

As they rode back home, only Anthony and Violet spoke, arguing and snapping at each other of what to do. And even if Clara wished to tell them both to just accept the fact that they could get ruined just for Daphne to escape that foul man, she couldn't, because her mind was too plagued with Simon.

Whenever she'd close her eyes, pretending to appear irritated by her brother or mama's words, Clara would see Simon or his anger. She'd see his bruised knuckles, his furious brown eyes or his need to defend her. The last part still sent shivers down Clara's spine, but she only allowed herself to take it as her own fury. She tried to be angry at Simon, because if not his lack of control, Nigel would have backed down. If not his need to protect Clara, she would not be thinking too much of him now.

It was a frustrating situation, and yet instead of helping her sister, Clara thought of her own problems, most of them involving Simon.

At least, that was the case until Anthony declared he'd duel Nigel Berbrooke. "I must issue my challenge to Berbrooke straightaway."

"Oh, Anthony..." Violet trailed off in frustration, not wanting her son to duel someone, not now and not ever.

Clara herself turned to face her brother, who had sat next to her as she, him, Violet and Daphne sat in one of their carriages, with the remains of their siblings in the other. Anthony seemed angry but everyone had expected such a reaction. Daphne was silent and sad, Violet just blank, and Clara... Clara just tried to forget her own thoughts and come up with a plan to save Daphne from an eternity of upcoming misery. "I've been properly trained in the manner," Anthony told his mother seriously, ready to risk his life in exchange of Daphne's freedom. "I know the rules to follow."