•part ten•

••••••

••••••

Grosvenor Square, 1813.

A woman who'll have many suitors shall be called Incomparable, and a woman who will not shall be called either rotten or even honorably Miss Clara Bridgerton.

The latter is an example like no other. Out on her 3rd season without a single suitor ready to capture her frozen heart. While any other debutante would cover herself with a blanket of shame in such a situation, the eldest Bridgerton daughter continues to wear it with pride and sensibility.

However, nowadays, Miss Bridgerton's dream to stay unmarried is retreating further away from becoming a reality as suitors, some old and some new, step through her door not only for her sister, but for her as well.

I believe, there can be only two good reasons as to why this has happened. Either Miss Clara Bridgerton changed her mind and now wants to marry and become, perhaps a baroness, a marchioness, or even a duchess.

Or, and I believe this answer to be closer to the light, Miss Daphne was not the only one to catch the Duke's eye during the Vauxhall celebration. Or during a promenade at Regent's Park.

However, whether Miss Clara Bridgerton marries or not, we shall see very soon. After all, it's difficult to change someone so stubbornly beautiful and dream-fully naive.

••••••

THIS was not it. Suitors, gawking at her with their knees on the floor, serenading and bringing her flowers and chocolates she did not even enjoy.

Clara hated every single moment of this afternoon despite how happy it made Violet look. However, even if Daphne was surrounded by a dozen perhaps thirty more suitors, Clara tried to be happy for her own ten suitors, Lord Ashwood being one of them.

As they continued to sing for her, clap and recite their poems, Clara could only nod and laugh falsely, putting on an act in case Violet would see. Of course, she loathed having to stoop to Daphne's level, but all her plans from now on had to be filled with fake positivity and calmness.

Truthfully, every single gentleman to stand in front of her made Clara feel suffocated, most importantly when they all stared at her differently as if she was not the same Clara. Before Simon's apparent courtship in Daphne (and Clara knew these two were at fault for her suddenly newly appeared suitors), all the men avoided Clara, except maybe Lord Ashwood. But now, it seemed they were willing to forget Clara's rumors just to marry themselves into a family with a duke. Not that Daphne was already marrying him.

Clara could not understand why she was put in this position. If they wanted something so much, they should have went after Daphne, and not her. But, noticing how handsome some of the lords were on Daphne's side, Clara understood she was a second choice again, something more reachable than her sister. Someone her suitors would have an easier time getting with less competition.