•part thirty-one•

••••••

••••••

Grosvenor Square, 1813.

One may say modesty is a virtue, yet this author is hardly a virtuous woman. It is therefore my great pleasure to announce presumably the most shocking of news this ton had seen in years.

The rose of the previous seasons has made her match, something most of the ton did not see to come, but I did not doubt. And it is not just a certain match, Miss Clara Bridgerton isn't marrying Sir Tomas as others had bet, seemingly ready to loose all of their money by what they are about to hear.

Because, Miss Clara Bridgerton is officially engaged to the Duke of Hastings. Shocking, is it not?!

However, despite all the upcoming rumors, I, yours truly, believe the bride to be giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials, because why else would've she agreed to marry?

What an unforgettable match. What an unforgettable event, as well, as Miss Clara, once unmovable debutante, is now becoming not just a lady or a Mrs., but a duchess as well!

I, for once, cannot wait for their wedding, an event that will apparently take place sooner than later. Of course, there are only two reasons to procure a special license and race to the altar: true love, which one might not have seen in the duke and the lady, having thought the duke was head over heels in love with the other debutante.

Or concealing a scandal. Something I shall not believe in for all the times the duke and Miss Bridgerton were seen together, but also something in which others surely must have thought about.

Nevertheless, congratulations to the duke and Miss Bridgerton. Hopefully, this easy on the eyes pairing will brighten everyone's faces the next time we see them together, in love and finally able to show it. Especially Sir Tomas and Miss Daphne Bridgerton's faces. But I do wonder how these two beautiful humans are feeling after such an unexpected match?

••••••

THERE was simply no time left to think. Clara rushed into her bedroom, cold and incredibly exhausted, in a need of a hot and steamy bath, but she had no time. She simply had to get to bed and sleep, even if she knew nothing would help her fall asleep.

Clara was engaged. To Simon. It still sounded strange and it still haunted her, but remembering how scared she got when she thought Anthony would shoot Simon, Clara simply had no time left to regret her choice.

At least Simon was alive. At least he'd get to see another sun coming down, and even if Clara knew how upset he must have been to marry, Clara knew she'd be content to know he was alive.