•part thirty-nine•

••••••

••••••

Clyvedon, 1813.

Miss Marina Thompson and Mr. Colin Bridgerton have gotten engaged! It seems that the duchess of Hastings' marriage has spread quite a marriage fever in the Bridgerton household, the duchess's twin deciding to be second in marrying out of all the children.

Who will be next? Perhaps, Miss Daphne Bridgerton, who after her unsuccessful attempt with the duke and a prince still has gentlemen lining up to take her hand. I do like some gamble, and my biggest gamble would be on the most underrated gentleman this year. And the most handsome left in the ton after the duke of Hastings had been swept off of his feet by the most powerful debutante this ton has ever seen.

••••••

COLIN was engaged. Clara felt slightly perplexed by these news, not having thought her twin brother would be this quick to tie the knot after she did. Especially after all the plans of traveling Europe. But not even these news were the worst part of it, it was that his betrothed was Miss Marina Thompson, the previously mysteriously sick debutante, now striving for her brother's heart.

Clara continued to read Lady Whistledown's paper, which had managed to reach even Clyvedon thanks to Jennie, feeling slightly unhappy by these news despite trying to be happy for her twin brother. The reason to her unhappiness was that she felt sad for Penelope Featherington, aware the girl had long termed feelings for Colin, who obviously decided to follow a much easier on the eyes debutante. Clara continued to ache for Penelope, wanting to go back to London to tell Colin how quickly he had come up with the decision and how unthoughtful this whole thing was. Though, she was in no form to judge him.

Clara was certain it was not her case with Colin, he was a gentleman and would never kiss a lady without marrying her first, something Clara, his practical other half, had done. Clara sighed deeply and put the paper down as Jennie continued to zip her dress for her, the duke and duchess going to attend a fair in the nearby countryside. "You wish to go home, Your Grace?" Jennie asked curiously as Clara stared at herself in the mirror, feeling perplexed by many things lately, some of them even involving Simon or their love making.

Surely, Clara wished to believe her worries were her own insecurities but the more she thought about it, the less sense it made. Clara shook her head at Jennie with a small smile, allowing the fact that Jennie called her Your Grace when Clara wanted her maid to use her first name to slip through her fingers. "No, I am all right. Colin is a big boy, he can take care of himself. I am also sure my mother must be thrilled to know they're going to be a family with the Featheringtons," Clara joked so Jennie snickered but they both then laughed, Jennie accidentally touching Clara's love-bite on her neck. Clara hissed so Jennie jumped to apologize but Clara only smirked. "It's all right, Jennie. The activities I do with my husband are quite spirited. Nevertheless, I am not hurt, but happy."