•part one•

••••••

••••••

Grosvenor Square, 1813.

Dearest reader, the time had come to place our bets for the upcoming social season. Consider the household of the Baron Featherington. Three misses foisted upon the marriage market like sorrowful sows by their tasteless, tactless mama.

Far better odds might exist in the household of the widowed Viscountess Bridgerton. A shockingly prolific family, noted for its bounty of perfect handsome sons and perfectly beautiful daughters.

Today is a most important day, and for some a terrifying one, for today is the day London's marriage-minded misses are presented to Her Majesty the Queen. May God have mercy on their souls.

It is only the queen's eye that matters today. A glimmer of displeasure and a young lady's value plummets to unthinkable depths. But as we know, the brighter a lady shines, the faster she may burn.

A mere example of this is the beautiful Miss Clara Bridgerton. Called Incomparable by Queen Charlotte herself two years ago, Miss Bridgerton has yet to marry.

My dear readers, nobody would have guessed Miss Clara Bridgerton would be on her 3rd season, suitors or marriage yet to be seen. Whether it is a choice or the seeking of true love, I, yours truly, do not know. But, I will be sure to follow Miss Bridgerton's journey in finding a perfect match.

And something tells me that exactly this social season will change everything.

••••••

CLARA did not know how long her eldest brother Anthony had been outside of their carriage. She was not rushing him, but she was becoming frustrated from all the sounds and moans his mistress Siena Rosso was exclaiming as he had her pinned against the tree, God knew where.

It had been a constant thing. And yet even if these indiscretions were far from what Clara and Anthony's mama, the dowager Viscountess Violet Bridgerton, would want for the young girl, Clara knew better than to shield from this unlike any other unmarried girl's mamas would hide their girls from.

A girl was not supposed to be clueless, Clara thought, so she was well aware of the act of love. Of course, if the people on would find out, it would create a scandal, but thankfully, Clara and Anthony had a mutual agreement to keep this to themselves. Clara lived with her brother most of the time, rather enjoying his presence than her pressuring mama or her other overwhelming siblings even if they were her dearest. Something, however, whispered to Clara that this season, her dear mama would be even more frustrated with the eldest daughter of the Late Viscount Bridgerton. It was her 3rd season out, and Clara had yet to marry. To say the ton were already gossiping would be an understatement.