•part twenty-one•

••••••

••••••

Jim's Pub, 1813.

Many debutantes want love that consume them. Others are more realistic and look for a handsome face or a generous status. I, yours eye-catching author, often see people for who they are or what they want.

Taking into consideration is one Miss Daphne Bridgerton. The sweet and polite debutante seeks for a love match, it is quite obvious unlike her neighboring debutantes of the name Miss Featheringtons, who clearly look for a handsome face, thus reaching for something quite impossible.

Someone far more difficult to understand is the handsome and ever gallant Sir Tomas Serrano, but even he strives to love. Because compared to the other two people yet to be mentioned Sir Tomas' motives are quite clear.

There are only two people yours truly can still not understand as well as she can read any other person of the ton. These two beautiful humans are Miss Clara Bridgerton and the Duke of Hastings.

You may wonder what is so hard to understand about a girl who does not want to marry or a duke who has been known to be smitten with Miss Daphne Bridgerton? Well, let me surprise you, dear reader. Separately, these two individuals carry no mystery despite what others gossip, but put them together as we had noticed quite often recently, and they become a mystery which has yet to be solved.

Are they friends? Or are they closer than the eye catches? The question remains but, oh, do I see some sparks flying? And oh, how I am waiting for the duke of Hastings to finally choose his bride? Whether it is Miss Bridgerton or her recklessly passionate sister.

••••••

OPENING up was far more amusing than Clara had initially thought. Surely, she and Simon were taking on only easy topics at a time, saying what they liked or disliked while they continued to drink at Jim's pub, their conversation becoming more personal each passing second. There were still a lot of people present but as Simon had noticed most of them looked at Clara like she was their friend or just another friendly stranger. They did not even pay attention to him, much to his liking. This place was different, this place felt like home to Simon just because it felt like Clara's home, too.

Music continued to ring loudly, a few people playing with instruments as others danced, Simon surprised how much energy they possessed even after working all day. But, he also realized, it was their relaxation time and nothing was better entertainment than drinking or dancing.

Simon found entertainment in what he and Clara were doing as well. After talking for a while, Clara had suggested playing a game just for the fun of it, and without a thought, Simon agreed. He wanted to know more about her hobbies, he wanted to see more of such an amazing side of her. So, they were both sitting straight in front of the bar, two coins placed on the bar-top as two beer mugs stood a bit away from the coins.