•part forty•

••••••

••••••

Clyvedon, 1813.

Rumors circle that the new duchess of Hastings has become quite the figure in the nearby regions of her tenants. Considered to be fun, down to earth and fair - the new duchess already has many affections from the people of Clyvedon, who some even call her by her first name! What an unseen and yet a beautiful sentiment from our duchess.

However, one might find this quite surprising as we are all well aware that becoming a duchess was never this woman's intention, and especially not the responsibilities that came with this title many dream of.

I hope being a duchess does not ruin the once Miss Clara's true nature, because there would be nothing worse than loosing one's self.

••••••

CLARA woke up alone the next day. It was quite disappointing not to see Simon's sleeping face next to her, his arms wrapped around her tightly as if she was his heater. Clara felt puzzled where her husband was, finding it odd since it was still quite early in the morning.

Getting up, Clara dressed herself up first, did her own hair and left their bedroom, feeling slightly overwhelmed with her previous dreams. She dreamt running through the woods, running away from someone before falling off a cliff and into the darkness, Simon no where nearby her. Usually Clara's dreams were nice and realistic, they often involved Simon too as he was all she could think of, but that particular night he was absent, and her own demons and shadows continued to haunt her.

Clara was usually not one to give dreams much meaning, but something felt oddly difficult and uneasy about her dream or the way she felt after waking up. Why was she running? From who was she running? Why did she fall so quickly?

Many questions swirled through Clara's head, the girl sighing deeply as she continued to walk through her awfully empty castle, wanting to find Simon so he'd help her or at least ease her heavy heart that morning. The dream continued to replay itself inside her head until she paused when she saw that the door to the nursery was open after she had closed it specifically on a purpose that Simon would not stop by and feel upset a baby would never lay in his little cradle.

Simon as well as Clara herself because deep down the empty nursery irritated her. It hurt her too slightly, but only a tiny bit to a point she did not give not having children much thought. However, the fact that the door was yet again open when there was no use for this room caused Clara to grimace in annoyance. She grabbed onto the door handle and shut the door loudly, aware she'd yell if the door would turn out to be opened again. There was no use for this nursery, meaning no use in keeping it open.

Clara continued to head towards Simon's office, even more irritated than before until she finally opened the door and peaked inside to find her husband sitting at his desk, going through numerous papers. He was still not dressed, only in a robe as he continued to go through the papers, irritation and focus written on his handsome face. "There you are," Clara sighed slightly so Simon raised his head up slightly, noticing his already dressed wife enter his office.