•part forty-seven•

••••••

••••••

Queen's Luncheon, 1813.

The Duke and Duchess of Hastings has finally graced us with their presence at the latest Queen Charlotte's luncheon. Seen walking side by side of the duchess' family, we can surely see how supportive the duke is of her wife's twin brother, seemingly making everyone in the ton forget a scandal took place at all.

However, this isn't the case for Miss Thompson's family. The Featheringtons, God forbid such a family, were seen entering as if they hadn't just brought shame to the respected family of the Bridgertons. Nevertheless, justice knows its boundaries and not even a minute into entering, the Featherington ladies were seen leaving with their cunning tales wrapped around their legs.

It's a shame what one scandal can do to a family, especially with three unmarried girls, and, well, their cousin who started it all.

••••••

CLARA truly did not want to go to the Queen's Luncheon, but for her family, she was ready to put up with all the curious looks and presumable questions. After all, some people still debated her marriage to Simon, thinking it was seduction or the caught in act moment, both of them not varying so much from the actual truth. Clara was not ready to see everyone again, not ready for the rainfall of upcoming questions, not wanting to act in front of others that her and her husband were on cloud nine.

Nevertheless, seeing Simon again after staying with her family for one night felt even worse than she had initially thought. The duke seemed longing and even if Clara felt similarly inside, she tried not to show much of it. However, she had to act to make her family clueless and kissed his cheek when they met, touched his hand, held onto him, all while her family, except for Daphne, who had a hard time not telling anything to Simon, stared at her in oblivion and even happiness.

Clara had her hand wrapped around Simon's arm when they entered the gardens of Queen Charlotte's luncheon, the duchess remembering how much she didn't miss all of these occasions and how much easier it was to just stay in Clyvedon, surrounded by no one but Simon. Nevertheless, another part of her did miss spending time with her family even in such conditions. Clara missed playing Pall Mall with her siblings, she missed annoying Anthony when she'd take his lucky mallet, which also was ironically her lucky mallet as well. She missed spending time with her siblings when they'd sit around a table during the evenings near a warm fireplace and play card games.

Clara missed these nights when they were all free. However, a tiniest part of her would've liked doing the same thing with Simon, perhaps even their own children. Whenever Clara thought about it, she'd shiver, not understanding why she was even thinking about these things. It was clear she did not want children and yet seeing Violet look so happy that almost all of her children were together again made Clara long for something which she hadn't even felt or seen before.