•part forty-nine•

••••••

••••••

Lady Danbury's estate, 1813.

Dearest reader, a question. Is anything more exhilarating than taking a gamble? For it is often the highest risk that carries the greatest reward. Yet, the wager wrongly, and you might find yourself left with nothing but regret.

Of course, one can never know for sure whether a wager will make a fortune or ruin it, unless one chooses a more secure pursuit. But as the season continues, the biggest gamblers have yet to truly show their hand, which leaves gossip in short supply in recent days.

In fact, this author can think of no other event that merits a mention. It is worthy of note, however, that the Duke and Duchess of Hastings have yet to entertain callers together. Our newlyweds are no doubt still secluded in nuptial bliss.

Who could fault them? And who could be surprised if their diligent efforts are rewarded with a new arrival within the year?

(A kind of dark chapter in some aspects, so Warning to those who find motherhood topics sensitive!!)

••••••

AFTER about an hour and a half Clara felt like she had completely lost herself. Surrounded by undoubtedly brilliant women, who gambled like men, spoke like men, and did everything some men would condemn them for, it was easy for Clara to forget her own heart's desires and aches. She felt at home with the ladies at her table even if Lady Danbury had noted her choice to stick to non alcoholic beverages. Clara didn't answer the woman's comment, deciding to slip it through her ears as if simply not hearing due to their still ongoing game.

Nevertheless, she knew her lack of acknowledgment did not go unnoticed by Danbury, the woman aware Clara either hid something or did not wish to speak to her in front of these women. Clara chose to have a good time instead of allowing Danbury's discrete face reading looks to ruin her evening, her child and Simon pushed at the back of her mind for at least now.

Clara was laughing like she hadn't laughed in some time, opening up more and more to the women at her table, who did not judge her if she cursed accidentally or made fun of them when they lost. Oh, and she did make quite a fuss about this game. In fact, Clara was winning more than she had ever won, not understanding whether these women actually did not know how to play the game or were allowing her to take their money. Not that it made sense, Clara still had more money than them combined, being the wife of a duke, but she decided not to question them and just laughed when the dealer revealed a card, matching the same card she had put her token on.

Lady Throwbridge groaned once again, not really good at this game, but a good sport nonetheless as all five women at their table laughed at her expression. "The earl would have my head if he knew how much money I have lost," she commented whilst glancing at Clara, who grinned teasingly and took her token back to herself, counting how much she had lost or won. So far, she was on the plus side, proud of herself and yet trying not to show it.