•part twenty-six•

••••••

••••••

Boxing Ring, 1813.

There is nothing more foul than two gentlemen fighting when spectators watch and cheer for such a gruesome thing.

However, amongst men and even some women, it's a barbarous entertainment, worth much time and energy. But definitely not for a young lady, or ladies, as they had been seen spectating a gruesome match of Will Mondrich, the Iron Fist against Prince Friedrich's fighter.

Many bets have been made, some lost and some won, but this author is more curious about the two Miss Bridgertons' appearance there.

Miss Daphne was occupied with her Prince, so there is no particular question why she was there. After all, one must never say no to such a gallant royalty. And yet I have seen many matchmaking places, but never in a boxing ring. New is good, however, is it not?

Miss Clara Bridgerton, on the other hand, was there solemnly to watch two men fight, her Sir not present surprisingly. However, she did get to speak with the duke, but what others had noted and brought all the way to me, it was not such a friendly sight.

Is there tension between the Duke of Hastings and Miss Clara? Or, perhaps, they were simply not seeing eye to eye to the day's battle? After all, Clara Bridgerton is a passionate debutante, but so is the Duke of Hastings.

••••••

BETTING. Everyone around Clara and Daphne were making bets loudly, the sound of bags of coins and yelling heard as the females entered the boxing ring with Anthony in between them, having both of their hands on his arms as if someone could steal them away. Apparently, it was an entertainment for men to see two men box with their fists, the battle between Will Mondrich, who was living in London, and the Irish fighter of the Prince creating a big fuss.

Clara did not know what she was doing here, but so far, she had not even asked Anthony to answer her. Partially, her mind was still wrapped around Simon or her terribly confusing feelings, and another now revolved around Dora and Jim's words. They thought it was this easy to just have someone. Simon was a duke, she was a lady so it was at most unaccustomed for them to just be together without a ring on her finger.

But, Clara did not even care for it, she wanted Simon, but so far, he was still foolish and chose distance. Clara could've ran, but she never would let her pride down, and instead of being with Simon, instead of telling him that they could've tried against all odds, Clara did nothing and was now with her brother and sister. Wondering whether Simon had left her like he had planned.

"Come on, then! Is it Mondrich or Gillespie?" men yelled around as circles and circles of people were making their bets, causing Clara to eventually finally smile. Anthony held his sisters close to him as if this place was dangerous for a lady, but Clara had seen worse places, but felt quite surprised he would take them both here.