•part fifty-five•

••••••

••••••

Hastings House, 1813.

In which the duke and duchess of Hastings find each other again.

••••••

SOMETHING felt right that moment. As Clara and Simon stood in front of each other, the first couple to begin the waltz something in both of their expressions felt right. Clara wished to tell Simon everything that moment, but it was not the time yet. Clara waited for something grand, something significant, but so far, could not come to a good enough conclusion of what.

Unbeknownst to her, Simon felt the exact same way. His eyes softened when he looked at a woman he loved, a woman who had changed so much for him in a span of a few months just because she held utmost love for him. Just because she wished to see him happy.

The duke smiled at Clara gently but she looked nervous for some reason. Simon did not know what for, because Clara was the best dancer, the most beautiful woman that night if not all nights, but something sparkled across her features, something Simon had yet to grasp of before he placed his hand on her back, automatically pulling her closer.

Clara's eyes sparkled when she felt Simon's hand on her upper back, missing him, wanting to heal him, and finally wishing to do so. Perhaps, after the dance. Perhaps, after this ball, but that night. But not yet, because it wasn't the time as something told Clara.

Their other arms connected together and the music grew louder as if coming alive upon seeing the duke and duchess get close together. And without another skip of a beat, Clara and Simon began to dance in circles, fitting each other unlike any other couple of the ton or the world itself.

With Simon, it was always easy to dance. Clara felt comfortable and loved, the way Simon held her body sent shivers down her spine as she stared into his eyes and he stared right back at her own.

They loved each other, they wanted to be together even if Clara was with child. That much was clear to Simon that moment as more couples soon joined in, everyone waltzing beautifully around a circle checkered dance floor, the duke and duchess feeling as if they were still dancing alone, without anyone to see.

It was an almost perfect moment for Clara to tell Simon that she loved him. When their eyes met once again after the briefest second apart, however, Clara felt like she had been punched in the gut.

Freedom. She felt liberated when she was with Simon. All this time, it had been him. He was all she needed or wanted, or had to have gotten to feel something she craved for.