•part eleven•

••••••

•••••••

•••••••

Ramsbury Ball, 1813.

Be it jealousy or affection, Miss Clara Bridgerton seems to attract more and more suitors, something, I believe, she finds rather more intrusive than fascinating.

Could it be because her dear younger sister has found herself a duke? Or because she herself has been seen entertaining the affections of the very same duke Miss Daphne Bridgerton has been seen to be smitten with?

I do hope a man, especially so handsome and gallant, will not be a reason to put a rift between the already very different sisters. Especially when Your's Truly's eyes caught the duke eyeing the older sister quite a few times more than the younger.

A question remains - was it an illusion of the eye or the fascinating discovery of love?

••••••

A few days later, Clara had survived her first successful attempt to leave her home and go dancing at Jim's pub. Jennie was left to sleep in Clara's bed, buried underneath the covers she must have found brilliant. Clara knew Jennie was scared they'd get caught someday, however, the young lady could not help but chuckle when she saw how comfortably Jennie had slept. She knew the maid would repeat such an action, but if not, Clara was already thinking of ways to tell her something persuasive.

Nevertheless, Clara realized she still held some freedom from her mother, and even if it wasn't ideal to be sneaky and secretive, without it Clara knew she would loose everything.

During the days, she was a perfect daughter, and during the nights, Clara turned back into someone she actually was.

However, not this particular Friday evening as the females of the house were getting ready for Ramsbury ball, Daphne and Clara both getting dressed in the same room. While Rose cared for Daphne, Jennie was doing the same for Clara. The girl had noticed how her maid avoided Violet's look as if she would have to confess, but Clara did not worry much. It was clear Violet did not know and Jennie was known to be quite anxious all the time to a point Violet did not see anything suspicious.

"Will it be the rubies or the pearls, miss?" Rose entered the room as she carried a few pairs of earrings for Daphne to choose from.

Clara stood near the window, already ready, but Jennie still fixed her hair, finding any small imperfection worthy of a glare from Violet. However, even if Clara was becoming irritated by the constant pinching and touching, she continued to focus on Eloise, who sat sprawled across an armchair, reading. Clara saw how much she disliked seeing the females get ready, the eldest daughter realizing she'd be just as pushing as Clara was, perhaps even more. "The pearls, of course," Violet mused, ready to take the jewelry into her hands but Daphne turned towards her lady-maid, looking at the earrings in her hands.