•part thirty•

••••••

••••••

Grosvenor Square, 1813.

Many of us have speculated the exact moment Miss Clara Bridgerton finally marries a worthy of her suitor. At first, people were optimistic that a proposal would be handed out to the girl the very same day she came out into the society, many young lords having caught this beautiful young woman to be the most striking of beauties.

But, that day never saw the end, and Clara Bridgerton never married the same night as it had been bet on her by Her Majesty herself. One week, then one month, eventually one year passed and to this day Miss Bridgerton enjoys her seemingly never ending guidance for freedom.

However, with a Sir on her hand as well as the eyes of the duke, this 1813 season promises something scandalous, I am sure, something which would soon make all the white doves of London to fly far into the sky and the bells of churches to ring so loudly it would signal only one thing.

Miss Bridgerton soon to become a Mrs. But is it Mrs. Serrano, or perhaps even a bigger, royal name - The duchess of Hastings?

I would not dare to bet at this very critical moment, but I would strongly advice to seek for any gossip and whispers, anything to make this wait for Miss Clara's decision to be worthwhile.

••••••

FOR the first time in her short and yet seemingly forever going 22 years Clara hadn't slept a wink throughout the night. How could she when the night dragged on slowly as if on a purpose to meddle with her already broken heart and mind. Clara could not think of anything else but Simon all night, the hours long and tiring, and yet her thoughts continued to drag on and on to a point Clara wanted to forget how to breathe.

It had been silent, this whole night has been incredibly silent, and yet Clara had still not come with a decision. Perhaps, as she disliked to admit, she did not want to marry even if it meant saving Simon's life. Perhaps, she could've been a villain in this story if it meant remaining her freedom.

Clara shook those silly thoughts away, because it was Simon in the end. The very same duke who had stared at her since their first meeting, the only man to have fully adapted everything inside of her. Well, at least the only man she had allowed to enter her deepest and darkest corners.

Clara loved Simon, and yet saving him was still far less tempting than keeping her hardly earned freedom. Clara sat on her windowsill, hearing the clock tick the seconds away, the outside world still dark with only a speckle of shadows of buildings she was finally able to see. Clara knew what the grayness of this very early morning meant - she only had an hour left until the sun would rise and their duel would take place. Perhaps, even less than an hour.