•part fifty•

••••••

••••••

Grosvenor Square, 1813.

Love from one side is a fickle game. When one falls in love it can be considered as a form of illness. Illusions, longing looks, and the imagination of being with that person when you know you never will.

Returned love, on the other hand, although beautiful and rare could be considered a fickle game as well. It can hurt sometimes, or leave one in ruins of what was once beautiful and cherished.

Love has many faces, but this Author has seen it only once or twice. The so called infamous love match of the duke and duchess of Hastings has left people gossiping to this day. Whether it is real or a mere accident, only the two of them know.

However, nobody should avoid the fact that sometimes, perhaps, the most unexplainable things in this world are the most beautiful ones. From a mere glance to a smile, to a touch, to the most cherished words, something unexplainable to most can become the most perfect.

••••••

IT took Clara two days to fully recover from the news that she had been carrying her child for longer than she had expected. In a way, life became funny after the doctor told her that she had been at least a month far with her baby, her shock haunting her for a long time after it. However, what haunted Clara far more was Simon's look those two days ago. He stared at her when she laid in bed without blinking, his eyes full of regret and pain, anger and humiliation.

Clara did not wish for Simon to be unhappy. No matter how wrong he had been before, she just couldn't, not after how he felt about his own father. Clara would think about her husband's life a lot of times, whether she'd eat, walk or lay in her bed, alone as always, but also with her child, who everyone had yet to find out about. Clara did not wish to rush things even if her family would be happy by these news.

Clara did not want tell anyone, not when she remembered Simon's look or how disappointed in himself he looked. To Clara, it was unexplainable how someone could feel angry at himself for something that should've been exciting. It was not that she found her baby exciting, but birth itself was considered a positive practice. But then again, when you don't want something it's better not to act.

But that look, it stayed in Clara's mind whenever she'd close her eyes, whenever she'd blink even, and nothing was worse than knowing that her child would have to live similarly to the way Simon had lived. Fatherless.

Nevertheless, Clara did not want to push Simon to want something he did not want, and knew that she'd take care of her child as if the child had both parents. Her brothers, she was sure, would be good enough father figures to her baby, but the thought still hurt.