Chapter 45

Ms. Stevens' POV

   "How are you, Deenie Beanie?"  I say with a smile, plopping down on Deena's couch next to her.

"Oh, shut up,"  She smiles.  "It's a nickname he made up for me when I was twelve, ok?  Hasn't stopped calling me that ever since."

"I've got to say, you know I love women, but I stan your dad.  And I mean that in a complete non-hetero way."

"I feel that.  He is a very good dude."  "I love that he cares about Shiranda just as much as he cares about you."

"Hell, if I didn't know any better, I'd think that he cares about her more sometimes,"  She smiles.  "He always hugs her first whenever we visit.  I get why she gets the extra attention.  She doesn't have a dad of her own, and he knows that.  I love that he's like that with her.  See, me?  I've had both Ma and him in my life, so I'm good.  I don't need as much attention as she does."

"I see where you get your dope personality from.  Y'all are so kind."  "Mama's to blame, too.  She was an absolute sweetheart.  She'd give you the clothes off her back and the socks off her feet if you needed them."

"If he ever wants to adopt a 29-year-old, I'm here."  I joke.  She laughs.  "We're having dinner at a private restaurant of a friend of his.  You should come with us."

"Sure beans."

.....

Shiranda's POV

I'm over here at Ms. Stevens' house with her, and for the first time, there's no specific reason behind it.  I just wanted to hang out with her.

We're playing Mortal Kombat.  Just as I finish her, there's a knock on the door.

She puts her controller down and answers the door.  "Hey, Aurora!"  I hear a preppy voice.

Who the fuck is that preppy all the time?

"Hey, girl."  "Can I come in?"  "Of course."  I look over to the door, and there's a woman I don't know standing in the house now.

"Oooooooo, who is she, Aurora?  She's pretty!"  The woman compliments.

Well, I guess I can deal with her preppiness.....

They walk over to the couch and sit down, Ms. Stevens sitting in between us.

"Morgan, this is Shiranda.  Shiranda, this is Morgan, the friend I told you about."

"Nice to meet you, Shiranda!"  "Uh, nice to meet you, too...."  Ok, I'ma need her to bring it down to, like, -10,000.

"So, how old are you?"  I ask Morgan.  "Twenty-seven."  "Cool.  What's your job?"  "I actually own my own business."

She's pretty, she's twenty-seven, and she owns her own business.  Hell, I can't compete with that. 

I'm just an 18-year-old high schooler that works at Subway.

Morgan's phone starts ringing.  "Oop, sorry.  I have to take that!"  She walks off down the hallway.

Ms. Stevens must've taken notice of my face because she says, "What's up?"

"This woman is wearing a pink frilly skirt, a floral frilly blouse, and white heels.  She is completely put together.  She's kinda just......wow.  Like, "out of the ordinary" wow.  Like, nobody is like that.  Is she on crack?"

She laughs at what I said.  "Yeah, Morgan's always been like that."  Morgan walks back into the living room.

"Sorry about that!  My sister is having an emergency, so I have to get hopping.  Bye, Aurora!  And Shiranda, it was so nice to meet you!  Hope to see you again!"

She hugs Ms. Stevens then me.  She walks out of the door.  Even her walk is preppy.

"So........Do you like her?"  I question in sort of a weird tone that I can't explain.

"As in?"  "Y'know..........a girlfriend."  "Jealous much?"  She says with a smirkish smile.

"Pffffff.  Tt.  No."  She scoots closer to me, her legs together behind her and her arm resting on the back of the couch, her fingers laced together.

"You're jealous, aren't you?"  She smiles.  "Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?,"  I say high pitched as fuck.  "Come on, Aurora.  Does that even sound like me?"

"It could."  "Well it doesn't."  "If it helps you feel any better, it's not even like that with Morgan and I.  She's just an old friend, and I haven't seen her in years before we ran into each other.  Nothing to worry about."

She boops my nose with her finger before picking up her controller.