Chapter 36

Deena's POV

   I'm currently watching the news as I'm seated on the couch, eating a bowl of Frosted Flakes.

Apparently, there's been a series of robberies throughout the neighborhood.  They ain't 'bout to get us, I know that much.

As I'm watching the TV, I start thinking about Aurora's behavior last night. 

She was acting like a complete loon, giving Shiranda my grocery list?  I mean, at least she gave it back.

I've never seen her act that way before.  Surely, there was something up with that, right?

.....

It's been a slow day, and now it's pitch black throughout the house.  I've just got done texting my dad.  We've set up another visit.

Suddenly, I hear the sound of glass shattering.  Bitch, I know DAMN WELL that ain't my window.

I instantly go into defense mode, quickly creeping to my nightstand and getting my gun out.

Not gon' lie, I'm scared as hell.  I quickly text Aurora.

Me: yo I think somebody's tryna break in come over to see if anyone's on the outside still

Rory: wtf? Omw now

I turn my safety off, aiming the gun in front of me and slowly surveiling throughout the house.

As I'm going through the living room, I trip over something, falling on my ass.

What the fuck?  I touch the thing I fell over, feeling on it.  A brick?  Oh HELL NAH.

After awhile, I don't run into anyone or see anyone.  I don't hear anything either.

The doorbell rings, and I cautiously go toward the door with the gun aimed.  I look through the peephole.

Whew.  Aurora came through.

I open the door for her.  "Coast is clear on the outside.  I scoped through the whole outside of the house.  Wait, you have a gun?"

"Hell yeah.  How else would I protect myself and Shiranda?"  I turn on the light, seeing the glass on the floor that's broken into a million smithereens.

"Goddammit."  I say.  "I can't believe someone tried to rob you."  "Well they didn't do a good job.  Everything looks the same.  Now I gotta call the insurance company and get this shit fixed.  The moonlight should not be shinin' into my living room like this."

"I'm glad you texted me.  I don't know what I would've done if something were to happen to you."

"Girl, you know you my backup."  "What if Shiranda was here?  Oh God.  Something could've happened to her."

"She's good in situations like this.  She knows not to act like an idiot.  When we used to live in the projects, when she was four, there was a drive-by, and she knew to immediately get down on the floor."

"Wow.......  That's really fucking impressive.  And somebody taught her that?"  "Nope."

"Kids are amazing."  "You know what's not amazing?"  "What?"  "The fact that all different kinds of bugs and shit gon' get in here now.  Maaaaaannnn, they done pissed me off."

I turn the kitchen light on and get the broom and dustpan.  I go back into the living room and start sweeping up the glass.

"You should probably call the cops to report it."  She says, examining the brick in her hand.

"And what the hell that gon' do?  Say some shit happens again.  You know they ain't gon' do shit until it's too late.  Plus, they ain't gon' have shit to go on.  I don't know who did this, and neither will they.  Ain't no clues, no nothin'."

"You do have a point there.  You need to get a security system."  "I'll call insurance tomorrow, along with somebody to install a system."

"Goddammit, man....."  I say, and start muttering to myself as I go to dispose of some of the glass.