Chapter 22

Naina is busy with dinner preparations while her cell phone is ringing continuously. She was trying to clean her hands hurriedly to pick up the cell and found Rajveer was calling her.

Rajveer: Naina vo mujhe kuch important lead mili hai to aj use follow karne ja rha hu.

Naina: to aap kab tak aayenge ghar?

Rajveer: kal sham tak aatunga. Tum akele rah jayogi na?

Naina: han humari chinta mat kijiye aap. Hum thik hai. Par bas aap apna khayal rakhiyega.

Rajveer: Han ok. Bye Naina. Dhyan rakhna.

He kept the phone down while boarding the flight
——————————————————————————

Naina was feeling anxious. Rajveer leaving just like that,  is something new for her. Specially after that attack, Naina is scared.

Being in a hidden mission Rajveer never had erratic timings before. He went on time and comes back on time. Watching this side of his life is new for Naina.

She has witnessed how things might turn for her husband sometimes. She never thought life could be like this.

Rajveer mentioned it to her before that being wife of an army person would be hard. But she never thought it would be like this. So unpredictable!

She couldn't eat and keep their entire dinner in the refrigerator. She tried to sleep but could drift only during the early hours of the day.

——————————————————————————

Paramdheer entered the home finding Reeti waiting for him.

Paramdheer: Rajveer Pune me hai.

Reeti: Kya? Usne to mujhe kuch bhi nai bataya hai ki vo Pune aa rha hai. Akela aya hai ya Naina bhi hai?

Paramdheer : Naina nai hai sath me. Akela aya hai vo

Reeti: aapko kaise pata?

Paramdheer looked at Reeti irritated, "Pune airport is under army. I had people there who told me. Why do you ask such silly questions Reeti? The important question is why Raj is in Pune. I hope it's not for that head case Ritu"

Reeti is feeling insulted at Paramdheer's response but concerned about Rajveer too. Ritu is indeed back in town.

She knew how Paramdheer's insensitivity towards Ritu made Rajveer secretive towards them but still now he is married. How come he is here and does Naina know about it? Or is he in Pune due to work?

But she knew that Paramdheer will use his connections to know about this. He can't be in peace until he knows everything

—————————————————————————

Rajveer is pacing up and down waiting for his flight update for Kochi. He is restless and fidgeting with his shirt continuously.

He need to report his absence to Col. Chandra tactfully. This time Naveen won't cover for him, as the matter of fact, Naveen is not aware of his absence.

He knew his father might already be aware of his presence here and will use all his connections to know about all his whereabouts. But it's not his immediate concern.

His immediate concern is what he will do now. His peace, his bubble of happiness is burst with the typhoon. It's like peace before a calamity.

What he has witnessed today is simply heart breaking for him. He had seen her breakdowns so many times in past but today is so different.

Ritu is not herself today. She is not breaking anything but just shuddering and shaking. She has cocooned herself in a corner and not letting anyone touch her.

Her care taker is standing at a distance and not knowing how to pacify her. When she couldn't understand anything then she called the only person she knew would turn up for her help, "Rajveer".

—————————————————————————

Rajveer has onboarded the plane and finally shut his eyes after a long and painful day. His mind went on a auto pilot mode rewinding the memories.

18 hours ago

Rajveer: Ritu.....

Ritu: to awaz ab bhi yad hai tumhe. Mujhe to laga ki tum bhul gaye hoge.

Rajveer didn't know what to say and sighed in response.

Ritu: Kaise ho Raj? Mai ab bhi Raj kah sakti hu na tumhe?

Rajveer: hmm. This is India number. So you are back.

He finally responded

Ritu: well you are keen as always. Yes I am back in all senses.

He can sense the double meaning behind her words.

Rajveer: hmm. Kaise ho ab?

Ritu: matlab puchna chahte ho ki ab bhi dimag se hili hu ya nai? To Capt. Rajveer Singh Shekhawat, I am fine. Not that you care

Rajveer: what do you mean Ritu?

Ritu: suna hai shadi kar li tumne. Ek khubsurat, behad jawan, simple basically perfect to be Paramdheer's daughter in law type ki ladki hai tumhari wife.

Rajveer can feel the disgust in his mouth on her reference to Naina.

Ritu: many congratulations!! I am so happy for you!

Rajveer: I heard you are engaged too! Congratulations to you too!!

Ritu : actually congratulations are not in order. We have broken up.

Rajveer had his heartbeat skipped, "oh, I am sorry to hear this"

Ritu: you know me right. I can't commit to anyone or let me correct my statement. I can't commit to anyone else except.....

She disconnected the call with it leaving Rajveer numb.

He didn't know what does she mean or did she really mean what he understood. That she can't commit anyone else except "him".

He can't function anymore and sat like that for an hour when finally an orderly came to call him for a meeting.

They are discussing the leads which are found by Rajveer. Rajveer has finally able to keep his mind off Ritu. They spent hours in discussing the topic when again his phone started ringing.

It's in vibration so Rajveer avoided it but after third time he realised it could be Naina  also. She is fragile too at this point of time.

He excused himself for 10 mins and took the call, "Hello"

Caller: Hello, mai Sheetal bol rahi hu. Vo Ritu madam ko fir se attack aa gya hai. Vo mujhse nai sambhal rahi hai , mujhe samajh nai aa rha hai ki kya karu?

Rajveer: attack? Kya kar rahi hai vo?

Sheetal: vo bas baith ke kaap rahi hai. Uth hi mai rahi hai. Sir vo mujhe lag rha hai ki vo kuch kar na le khud ko.

Rajveer: what?? Aapne Doctor ko phone kia?

Sheetal: Han maine try kia. Vo bahar hai abhi shahar se. Sir aap plz aa jayiye. Mujhse handle nai hoga. Kuch ho gya madam ko to?

Rajveer felt his hands getting cold, "ok. Mai try karta hu. Aap tab tak unke father ko call Karke inform kijiye"

Rajveer opened his eyes due to the jerk he felt due to touch down. He reached Kochi.

He now have to face Naina. What would he tell her he thinks, "truth will break her heart but the lie will also do the same eventually"

/* I know. Everyone is angry kyuki Ritu is back. But I have thought the story that way only. I can't do justice to it, if I change the story line.

So let me know how you liked this update. Same condition friends. 40+ votes or 55+ comments. I mean it won't take much of your effort to vote and comment on the story. It would make my work much more interesting and motivate me to give more updates 😍.

*/