Chapter 18

"Naina....Naina....", Rajveer is mumbling. His gun became loose in his hands.

He is looking at her. She is shivering with fear, clutching the doorway where she is trying to hide.

Her eyes are looking lost and filled with tears and in turn his eyes have lost all the focus. Suddenly it's like the earth has moved beneath him and he is falling.

Time has stopped making any sense to him. He is breathing to hear each and every heartbeat. His heartbeat which is synched with her's. Heartbeats which are audible to him even with the chaos around him.

For the first time in life Rajveer is facing this kind of fear. Fear of loosing someone. Someone who is very dear to him.

His focus is only on her and he wanted to scream her name to gain her attention. But suddenly his survival sense kicked in and her heard the directions Col. Chandra is shouting from God knows when.

Col. Chandra: Captain..... CAPTAIN....... RAJVEER....

Hearing his name made him come out of the trance. His hands are shivering but he takes an aim towards the attacker.

Col. Chandra: Stay hidden Rajveer. Usko thoda bhi threat hua to he might shoot anyone nearby.

Rajveer is still breathing heavily and trying to take hold of the situation when Naveen came on the Conf call, "Raj, focus. Naina needs you right now"

Col. Chandra: Rajveer, backup is on its way.

Naveen who is shaking as well asked, "when are they expected, sir?"

Col. Chandra: they will take another 10 minutes

Naveen: SHIT!! How can we hold on till then sir?

Col. Chandra: we need to stall him. That's the only way. Rajveer, are you ready?

Rajveer who is in a-bit control now, "yes sir. Should I shoot?"

Col. Chandra: No. I will tell you when. Our sniper is on the way. He will take his position in another 5 minutes.

Rajveer took cover again. His eyes are constantly on Naina. She is now so close to the attacker.

Attacker is observing the space around him like a hawk. He already took note of the direction where the first bullet came. The area is almost empty. People have taken cover in closed shops or the lucky ones have managed to escape from there. He is least bothered about them, their primary target is the intelligence team deployed there. They can't let them take hold of the place, that's why so many attacks planned simultaneously. He knew his one ally is killed and he not so sure about another one.

On the other hand, Rajveer and Col. Chandra are discussing the ways to get the attacker stalled.

Rajveer: it's the only way Sir.

Col. Chandra: but Captain this would risk your life.

Rajveer: Sir we have to think about Naina also. She will be the first victim if anything goes wrong.

Col. Chandra: I understand captain. But she won't be the only victim if anything goes wrong. Basically what we need to ensure is to distract him so that he won't notice the sniper's position.

Rajveer: fine sir. Then once Shahid(Sniper) starts to move inside this place I will disclose my location. He will get momentarily distracted.

Col. Chandra: ok Captain. But wait for the time till I say so. Also I will tell the direction you need to get his attention.

Rajveer: ok sir.

——————————————————————————

They hold still for a moment and then Col. Chandra said, "Rajveer hold him on your right, Shahid will be coming from your left"

Rajveer shot a blank on his right. The attacker momentarily looked to his right. Rajveer took that moment to stand facing the attacker, giving away his position.

Attacker saw him and pointed his gun at him. Both of them didn't shot but looked at each other for few seconds.

Rajveer understood that he suspects them. Suddenly attacker shoot a blank on their left and momentarily the attention moved there.

Attacker have seen Shahid's movements and take a shot there. The gun shot grazed Shahid's shoulder. Shahid needs to take cover then.

Col. Chandra: Shahid. Take cover and law low. We can't give away your position.

Attacker understood their game and took a second to scan the situation around him. His eyes fell on Naina and he pulled her to make his shield.

Rajveer's heartbeats stopped for a second and he took a sharp breath.

Col. Chandra: Rajveer, don't show it on your face. Agar use thoda bhi doubt hua then he will harm her more.

Rajveer understood this perfectly and with great personal effort brought back his poker face.

Col. Chandra: Shahid, can you take a shot from there?

Shahid: no sir, I need a opening. Atleast 200 mtr ahead there is a opening but koi cover nai hai sir. I think we need to wait for the backup.

Col. Chandra: hmm. Rajveer you too take cover. I think we need to wait for the backup.

But Rajveer's eyes are watching Naina who is loosing the color with every passing second. She had seen him and looking so petrified. Attacker is strangling her to keep her in place, even though she is not struggling. She has given up.

A tear is forming in Rajveer's eye which he can't afford in this situation. He took the cover as Col. Chandra is shouting him to hide and seen the disappointment on her face while doing so.

Col. Chandra: Guys, we need to handle it alone it seems. Backup is delayed further. There is some commotion in the way.

Rajveer had enough and something clicked in his mind. He said, "Shahid take a shot and give away for position for a second. NOW"

Shahid tried to take a shot and attacker moved in his direction. He moved Naina in the same position so that she would be the first target, but just then another gun shot happened.

Naina is slumped to the ground, looking directionless. Her eyes found their solace in his while they are watching him standing with the gun. Blood is pooling around her soaking her clothes.

Col. Chandra: take another shot Rajveer.

Two consecutive shot happened next but then body didn't have any sign of life in them.

Rajveer is also frozen at his place watching her . He couldn't move even though he want to. He is just looking at her. How can he let her be so vulnerable in front of his eyes.

Attacker is dead by Rajveer but his hand is still around Naina who seems to be in shock.

Naveen: Raj, Naina .... Naina is ok?

Rajveer realised and ran towards her. He made her stand and her shocked eyes saw his dark brown ones. Suddenly the recognition came back in her hazel ones and she broke in his arms. He embraced her further more tightly, not caring about the blood or the chaos around them.

/* so tell me friends how do you like it. Also I need good response yar on this. So I might delay or prepone the next update based on the response. 😈

Also I am planning to give another shots on RAINA. Let me know some ideas or thoughts on this( it would be on their early marriage days).                  

P.S I got the next update ready. If this update reaches 40+ votes, I will post the update immediately 😊*/