Get Over Yourself Reiner

Start from the beginning

"Reiner, I mean this in the nicest way possible. Get over yourself."

My eyes shot up to hers and before I knew it I was on my feet. Now she's trying to pick a fight. "What did you-."

"Don't try and square up with me. When I say get over yourself I'm not trying to fight. I'm trying to say that you dwelling on what you should have done or what you did or didn't do isn't going to help him. So stop with the pity party and take care of your damn boyfriend. You think he took that bullet for you wanting you to blame yourself for it? Or do you think that if the roles were reversed you wouldn't take the bullet for him?"

"Of course I would!"

"Then would you want him blaming himself for it?" She asked and I froze. My eyes fell to the ground.

"I hate it when you're right," I mumbled.

"Then stop doing shit you know is wrong," she said before walking out of the room. I just walked back over and plopped on the bed next to Berthold. Well, I should get some sleep before tonight, but I don't want to take my eyes off him. What if he wakes up while I'm sleeping? What if something else happens while I'm sleeping? What if he stops breathing and-." No stop, I can't be thinking like that. They said he is okay. He will be okay. I need to get some rest and I'll be lying right next to him.

I laid down on the bed and had to stop myself from scooting closer to him. I didn't want to hurt him. I just have to keep my distance for now. I closed my eyes but moved my hand out to grab his. I let my hand lightly sit over the top of his hoping that he would squeezy my hand like he always does, but it never happened. I just focused on getting some sleep. Even though it took me a while I managed to fall asleep eventually.

I opened my eyes a while later and before I could sit up I felt a familiar feeling. An arm around me? I looked up and saw Berthold's eyes meet mine. "You're awake," he said happily.

"That's my line," I couldn't help but smile as relief washed over me. "I have to go tell mom and Pixis that you woke up."

"No need I already did. Mom came in about an hour ago to check in and I told her then."

"You've been up for an hour. Why didn't you wake me?"

"Actually it was closer to two hours, and because you looked exhausted. You needed sleep."

"Wait what time is it?" I asked sitting up and looking around.

"About 1 am why?"

"Oh good, because I have to leave at 2."

"What why?"

"I'm going on a mission with Shadis tonight."

"I'm going too," he said sitting up and wincing a bit as he did.

"No. I can't let you come with me this time. It will be too dangerous especially if you are still healing. It shouldn't take us long, it's just a quick simple mission. Just try and get some rest until I get back." I hated lying to him, but if he knew I might be walking into a trap he would never let me go, but I can't just let Shadis go alone on this one he needs some backup. Not to mention I have a debt I owe him I can't just ignore it.

"How am I supposed to rest knowing you will be out there?"

I leaned in and gave him a kiss on the cheek before putting my hand in my pocket and feeling the plastic. I pulled it out of my pocket and had him hold out his hand before putting it in the palm of his hand and wrapping his fingers around it.

He opened his hand and looked at it. "A plastic ring?" he asked, confused.

"A promise. That when this is all over I'll give you a real one."

He just let out a big smile before slipping on the plastic ring. "Well, then I'll wear this one until then so you won't forget."

I leaned in and placed a kiss on his lips before leaning over and whispering in his ear. "I have to get ready now, but I love you and I promise I'll be back soon."

I finished getting dressed before walking over to Berthold one last time before I had to leave. "I love you," I said leaning in and placing a kiss on his lips.

"You promise you will be home soon?"

"Yes, cross my heart," I smiled seeing Annie standing in the doorway. "Until then Annie promised to hang out with you.

"You mean keep an eye on me?"

"Same thing."

I leaned in and gave him one last kiss and gave his cheek a light pinch, "love you." I said walking out the door hearing him whisper it back.

Annie nudged my arm as I walked by. She didn't say anything but I knew that was her way of telling me to stay safe out there.

I headed into the common area and saw Shadis walking up in his costume. "Ready?" he asked.

"Ready as I'll ever be." I nodded.