Twenty Seven

Perrie's POV

I watched the color drain from Jade's face and I wanted to run to her, but my feet wouldn't move. I was scared too. Literally scared stiff.

Jade eased the door open and half hid behind it, while I stood in the corner, watching it all go down.

Wondering.

Have I spent all this time trying to convince her that everything would be alright for nothing? What if it isn't? What if this is it? What if I'm the one who's given her a false sense of security, and we should've been somewhere far away from this town by now?

She trusts me and if this is it, then my mouth has written checks my ass can't cash.

"I'm Jade. How may I help you?" Jade responded, surprisingly calm.

It was as if she'd snapped out of her scared little girl role, and into her tough one.

"Hello, Jade. As I mentioned, I am Officer Pinnock, and I have been assigned to investigate the disappearance of a Mr. James Edwards Jr.. May I come in?" Her voice was soft and delicate, but I could tell it was laced with attitude and judgment.

"Um—" Jade hesitated.

"This won't take long. I promise." The officer added.

"Sure, come in." Jade said, shuffling aside so the officer could step in.

I don't know what I was expecting her to look like from the sound of her voice, but when she stepped in, I think my jaw dropped.

She was absolutely gorgeous. Her hair was curly and she had it pulled back into a tight ponytail, showing off her beautiful round face. And her brown, almond shaped eyes were big and beautiful, but they definitely didn't give away the attitude she brought with her.

Officer Pinnock took a quick survey of the parts of the apartment she could see from the front door. She scanned slowly and carefully, and I was shitting bricks hoping she didn't spot anything that could lead her to suspect Jade.

Her eyes scanned my side of the room, and stopped when she reached me. She looked me up and down, for far too long in my opinion.

"And you are?" She asked, still eyeing me from top to bottom.

Her gaze was making me uncomfortable. Yes, she was pretty. Gorgeous even, but Jade had my heart under lock and key. She was it for me.

"I'm—" I started.

"That's my girlfriend." Jade blurted, thankfully cutting me off.

Her jealousy was boiling over her fear and it was kind of a turn on. I also took note that this was the first time she'd ever referred to me as her girlfriend.

We'd never even had that conversation, we just jumped in feet first. Still, Officer Pinnock didn't take her eyes off me.

"Do you have a name?" She asked.

"Ms. Pinnock, was it? Was there something I could help you with in regards to Jimmy's case?" Jade said.

I could see the rage stirring inside of her, and I knew there was only a matter of time before it boiled over too. Still, I was low key loving her attitude.

"It's OFFICER Pinnock." She replied, sounding a bit offended.

"Right. What was the reason for your visit again? My girlfriend and I were kind of busy." Jade was getting snappier by the second and I was absolutely loving it.

I made a mental note to show my appreciation later. And... she said it again. Girlfriend.

The officer slowly peeled her eyes off me, and I was grateful. It felt like she was undressing me with her eyes.