Five

Perrie's POV

When I woke up the next morning and heard music blaring from downstairs, I knew that only meant one thing. Jimmy was home, and boy did I have a few choice words for him.

I rolled out of bed in a hurry and slid my feet into my slippers. Once I threw my robe over my shoulders and was about to storm to his room, I froze in my tracks.

What am I doing right now? I need to calm down.

I knew that there was no way I would get through to Jimmy if I was yelling at him, and I also didn't want to risk him suspecting that I was ridiculously in love with his girlfriend.

He could be very standoffish and rude at times, but my mom always said. "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." I decided to take the nicer route in hopes that I could at least see where he stood with her.

I padded downstairs and went straight to the kitchen. I decided to make us both breakfast and try to talk to him that way. Once I finished the eggs and bacon, I went to his bedroom and knocked lightly on the door. I don't think he could hear me with the music playing, so I began to pound on it.

He snatched the door open about halfway and stood there frowning at me. 

"What?" Was all he said, and it took everything in me not to wrap my hands around his throat.

Play nice, Perrie.

"Hey, I made breakfast. Join me?" I smiled in return. His face softened a little and I think I even saw a slight smile.

"I'll be right out." He closed the door and I went to set the kitchen table for the two of us. 

Jimmy could really be a class A asshole, but there were times when I caught him being a decent human. I think it's all a façade. He wants to look and act like a tough guy, but being someone you're not takes a lot of commitment and energy, and at times I can see he gets tired of it. In a way, I felt sorry for him.

Once he came out, we sat down at the table and started digging in. He started shoveling food in his mouth like he hadn't eaten in days. To be honest, I don't think he has.

"I want to ask you something, and I don't want you to get upset." I started.

He looked up from his plate and cocked one eyebrow with a mouthful of eggs. "What is it?"

"It's about Jade." I could swear that I physically saw him tense up. "It's just that we've become friends and I really lo- um care about her feelings. How do you feel about her?" I hoped he didn't hear my near slip of the L word, or see the way I nearly choked on the word friends.

"She's alright." He replied, looking at his plate again.

I'm sorry, what?! Alright? Just alright?!

My blood was boiling and I could feel my cheeks heating up.

Did he just describe Jade as alright?!

I took a deep breath because I didn't want him to see how his lack of emotion unraveled me. Once I was calm enough to speak without profanities every other word, I asked him what I really wanted to know. 

"Do you love her?" I looked at him.

He shrugged his shoulders. "Yeah, I guess."

He guesses? One does not 'guess' if they love fucking Jade Thirlwall. Either you do or you're dumb. That's it.

"Do you know if she loves you?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Yeah, she tells me all the time." He shrugged again.