Twenty

Let's imagine that this is little Jaden 🥰

Jade's POV

When I arrived back at the hospital, visiting hours were nearly over. I walked in and greeted Mrs. Edwards.

"I can't thank you enough for your help!" I exclaimed.

Come to think of it, she never once questioned why I all of a sudden needed a sitter for so long and at this hour.

"I've already told you, don't worry about it, dear." She pulled me in for a hug.

A hug that I didn't know I needed.

That's the thing about hugs. They will either stick you back together or break you apart and hers broke me down.

I'd been running on fumes all day because I was just scared, but the second this woman embraced me, I was forced to stop and be still. And that was all it took.

I melted in her arms and she never let go of me or even loosened her grip. She was so warm and soothing. Something about the gesture broke me down to pieces and I started to cry. I was just so tired.

She rubbed my back and cradled my head into her chest, as if I were her own daughter.

"Shhhh." She whispered softly. "Whatever it is, dear, it's going to be alright."

She continued rubbing my back and holding me tight, and I actually kind of believed her.

What an angel.

Her words were so soft and soothing. There she was, comforting and soothing me, basically a stranger to her, while her own daughter was laying there in a coma and the only person blaming me for it is me.

I could clearly see where Perrie got her softer side. The same vulnerable side of her that she showed me that night in the car. I ran from it. I'm a monster. I looked over at my sleeping beauty with nothing but apologies in my eyes.

I think Mrs. Edwards noticed them before I did. She gently put a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm going to step out for a little break. Take all the time that you need." With that she smiled and left the room.

As soon as the door shut, I broke down again. I looked over at my sleeping son and then to my sleeping Perrie. The only two people I loved. I would do anything for them.

I walked over and kissed Jaden on his forehead, brushing his curls out of the way. He stirred a little, but drifted back to sleep and my heart swelled.

Then I walked over to Perrie. My Perrie. Tears still streaming.

"I know you like to sleep in, ocean eyes, but why haven't you woken up yet? I really really miss you. I miss your smile. I miss your laugh. Your terrible and inappropriate jokes. I miss your eyes. God, those gorgeous blue eyes. Ocean blue and ocean deep. I need you. I really need you. I'm so so sorry I didn't realize how much I need you until it was too late. And I'm so sorry you went to sleep not knowing how much you mean to me." I placed her hand in mine and intertwined our fingers, letting the tears fall from my face. I wished so bad that she would just open her eyes. "Open your eyes, love. Please."

The tears never stopped falling, and by now my cheeks were stained and my eyes were so puffy, I could hardly see. I brought her hand up to my lips and placed a soft, lingering kiss there.

I leaned in and placed another gentle kiss on her lips. And then her nose. And then both eyes. She loved that. It made her giggle and scrunch her face up before, but this time I got nothing.