Seven

Perrie's POV

Once we got in the car, I noticed Jade was just sitting there staring out into the rain. I've never really been one to speak out about much of anything, but it twisted me up inside to see the bubbly and fun Jade I met and fell for, so serious and sad.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked, breaking the silence and hoping she would let me know what was going on in that pretty head of hers.

"I'm just really tired." She replied, continuing to stare out the window.

She sighed and I got the feeling that she didn't just mean sleepy tired. She literally looked like she was exhausted and like she hadn't rested properly in ages. Like she'd been fighting battles that no one even knew about, all on her own.

"Once we get you home, you can get some rest." I said, trying to sound reassuring because I didn't really know how to approach it.

"Yeah, for sure." She gave me a half-hearted smile. Another one that didn't reach her eyes.

I sighed to myself as she closed her eyes, and we continued the drive in a comfortable silence. Once the GPS told me I arrived at her apartment I put the car in park.

"Okay, Jade. Home sweet home." I looked over to see her eyes still closed.

I watched the rise and fall of her chest and it calmed me for some reason. She was at peace.

Whatever demons she was suddenly fighting every day had gone inside for the night and she could finally get her energy back. I hated to wake her, but I knew she had to be uncomfortable.

I tapped her leg. "Hey, Jade. We're here."

Her eyes snapped open and she looked around. "Oh man, did I fall asleep? I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, Jade. No need to apologize." I smiled.

I waited for her to get her bag and get out of the car so I could make sure she made it in okay, but as soon as she reached for the door handle, she dropped her hand and turned to me.

Oh shit, what did I do?

"Thank you for bringing me home, Pez. Umm... it's really late, do you want to just come up?" She asked.

My breath caught in my throat. I couldn't believe she was inviting me in her apartment.

I looked at her and I could see something pleading in her eyes. Almost like a cry for help. Like she didn't want to be alone again.

Since the day we met, her eyes always seemed to speak volumes to me.

"I don't want to bother you, Jade. You're tired and need your sleep." I replied, hoping she'd see right through me.

"I would sleep a lot better knowing you weren't out this late, in the rain, trying to get home because of me. It's pouring out here, please come inside." She looked down at her hands and then back to me.

Does this mean that she actually cares about me too?

I thought about it for a moment. I know it shouldn't have taken any thought at all because this is Jade we're talking about, but I really didn't want to be a bother.

"Okay, just let me call my mom." I said, and took out my phone.

I told my mom that I would be staying at a friends house for the night and that I was safe. I also asked her to please not mention my whereabouts to Jimmy, not that they talked much anyways.

What I didn't need was him blowing up at Jade for no reason. I didn't trust him at all now when it came to her.

We got out of the car and took the stairs up to the 2nd floor. Once Jade twisted the key in the lock and swung the door open, I was taken aback.