Sixty Five

Jade's POV

"Hello?"

"Babe, have you seen the hair dryer?" I called Pez for the seventh time this morning since I woke up.

The first time was to say good morning and to see if she made it to work okay. The second time was to ask her where Jaden's shoes were. Then I dropped him off. The third time was to say I missed her on my way home. The fourth time was to check in again to see how she was doing. The fifth time was to ask her how to start the dryer. The last time was to ask her where we kept the sheets so I could change the bed. I've been keeping myself busy doing things all morning. I've just washed my hair, and now I needed the hair dryer.

"Have you checked under the sink in our bathroom?" She answered softly.

I walked into the bathroom and peeked under the sink. There it was. "I got it, babe! Thank you!"

"Jade?"

"Yeah, babe?"

"Hang on, let me step outside for a second." I heard a bunch of shuffling on her end and then nothing. "Baby, what's the matter?" I heard her sigh.

I furrowed my brows. "My hair is wet and-"

"No. What's really wrong? Don't get me wrong, I love hearing your voice whenever you call, but you've called me seven times already, asking me things I know you know the answer to, baba. That's not like you. What's on your mind?"

"There's nothing wrong, baby." I replied, running through the house to find my own shoes. "Do you know where my white vans are?"

"They're in the closet in our bedroom. Jade, sit down for a second."

"I don't need to-"

"Please?"

I sighed, going over to sit on the couch, immediately feeling antsy. "Why am I sitting?"

"Answer my FaceTime." She said and then it started to ring. I picked up immediately, smiling because I missed her face. "What are you doing?" She asked.

"Well, I was gonna go start the dryer but you made me sit down." I bounced my leg up and down.

"No you weren't. You asked me about that hours ago. And I told you I finished the laundry yesterday. You just asked me for your hair dryer and shoes at the same time. You're still in your pajamas, baby. Why do you need your shoes?"

"These aren't my pajamas." I lied.

"Baby, I slept with you last night. In those pajamas. Why are you looking for shoes?"

"I don't know." I honestly had no clue.

She sighed again.

"I'm sorry. Am I getting on your nerves? I'm really sorry. I'll let you go-"

"No, baby. No you're not. You can call me anytime you want. I'll always answer. I am just worried."

"What are you worried about?"

"What you're distracting yourself from. Talk to me, please."

"I'm not-"

"J'Adore, please. Just stop moving. Stop bouncing your knee and fidgeting. Be still for one second."

I sighed and did what she asked.

"What are you feeling? What are you running from?" Even though she was through a screen, the sharpness and intensity of her eyes was still crystal clear. I made the mistake of staring right into them.

I sighed again. She recognized something was up with me before I did. She knew me better than I knew myself. Suddenly the familiar feeling crept up in my chest. "I'm scared, Pez."