Ninety Three

Jade's POV

After being tucked away in that office for hours, working on things for the club, it felt so damn good to finally leave. After the opening weekend, which did great by the way, I had a lot of stuff to go over for this weekend. Things like what worked and what didn't, or what I would've liked to see more or less of, the next round of promo until people get hooked enough to come back on their own, employee satisfaction, and paychecks. We made a shit ton of money, but I still had to pay a lot of things with it.

All of that shit started to give me a headache, so I dropped it and left. I told myself I'd deal with it tomorrow, but tonight I wanted to be at home with my family. I missed them so much. I know I wasn't gone for a ridiculously long time, but any time away from them hurt me, honestly.

Trying to be a good wife and mother, I decided to stop by the store and pick up some groceries to make them dinner. That was if Perrie hadn't already beat me to it. It was like we were in constant competition for wife of the year.

I parked the car out front and walked over to grab the grocery bags, kicking the door shut with my foot. It was dark and quiet out. The only thing that could be heard was the whistling of the wind through the trees. It was a nice breeze, but it wasn't freezing out, making me want to just sit in the backyard and unwind for a bit.

As I got to the front door and set one of the bags down to fish my keys out of my purse, I got nervous when I saw something moving in my peripheral view. I quickly looked around to see the back of that same truck I'd been seeing. No lights or anything. Just a black truck slowly passing by me in the night.

Wtf?

My heart started to race, thinking they would finally stop, since I was alone. If it was even me they were looking for. Which I prayed it was and not my family. That's why I didn't run inside. For fear that they'd get out and follow me.

There couldn't have been a better time to get to me. They didn't stop though. They kept going, which got less scary and started to piss me off.

Whoever it was, they were dumb. The lack of any common sense made me feel like it was that bitch Sarah, fucking with my head. Or even Audrey. Who knows. I just wanted them to stop. Park the truck and get out at this point, because this creeping shit was getting old.

I stood at the door for a moment to collect myself, and not bring any of my anger to the other side of the door. I reminded myself that there were literally alarms and cameras everywhere, and that my family was safe. That was all that mattered.

I took a deep breath and pushed the door open with both bags in hand, kicking the door closed behind me and turning to lock it and set the alarm right away.

Usually when I came in, they would come running to me. I was a little sad when they didn't, but then I stepped in a bit more to see them both curled up on the couch, under our blanket.

My heart melted at the sight, and I smiled wide instantly pushing the last five minutes out of my head. I put the groceries down in the kitchen, noticing that she had in fact beat me to making dinner. Which I guess actually made sense because they'd probably starve waiting until I got home. I just needed to get home earlier from now on.

I walked back into the living room to clean up the mess around them. What I never understood was how whenever Jaden did his homework, somehow every single sheet of paper in his backpack ended up around him, even though his actual homework was stapled in a packet.

I put all of his papers back neatly in his folder, stopping to look over his work from today. Then, I put Perrie's notes and her laptop in a neat pile on the coffee table. I took a quick peek at her work too. After reading through some things about teeth that I didn't understand, I went to sit it down, and noticed the last line: