Demelza Carlton

What is your user name?

Demelza Carlton

What’s the story behind your username?

It’s my name, which will be on the cover of my books. I don’t like confusing people. I answer to Dem quite happily.

How old are you?

I’m 30.

How long have you been on Wattpad?

Since September 2012, when I first heard about Wattpad.

What story have you entered in the Watty’s Awards?

My short story, Water and Fire. I wrote it for a Wattpad writer’s workshop, but it went quite awry from my original intention and never made it into my workshop writing. Instead, I chose to enter it into the Watty’s.

What genre is it entered in?

It’s a short story, so that’s where I had to put it. I would call it a contemporary medical romance.

Can you give a brief summery of the story?

Belinda’s a trainee midwife at an Australian country hospital for a few weeks, where the local animals cause a fair bit of trouble. She saves a woman’s life and Aidan, an Irish intern, starts to really take an interest in her. Now Belinda has some secrets she’s keeping locked up and you get the idea these are pretty dark. At one point she seriously considers throwing herself into the waters in the port. I’d better not tell you too much more – or the ending won’t be a surprise!

Who is your favourite character?

I’d have to say Aidan, the intern. He’s funny, he’s smart and he tries really hard to do the right thing, but sometimes he’s just way out of his depth and it shows. I compare him to a wombat and an octopus  - both creatures with some pretty amazing defence mechanisms. He is my favourite, despite his chest hair, which just makes me shudder.

What is your favourite part of the story?

The ending. I think Belinda deserves some happiness, after what’s happened to her in the past. I hope I haven’t given too much away – I thought all romances had to end happily!

What advise would you give other Wattpad authors?

Write what interests you and what you feel. In my head, I feel like I’m looking through the brains of the characters I write about, for a short time, so I give sight, sound, smell, taste and feeling when I can. Once you’ve done all that and you like the story, edit for punctuation, style and plot, then give it to other people to do the same. Remember, writing it the easy bit!

Is there anything you would like to say to your readers?

I’m thrilled that you enjoy Water and Fire as much as I do. Your support has been overwhelming.