thirty-two

"Jake?" she hears the voice of Peyton from behind her. Parker knows that Brooke is standing there as well, but she can't tear her eyes away from Jake.

"Hey Peyton," Jake says from in front of her.

"Jake," Parker repeats because she can't believe that he's standing there. She notices that his hair is shorter, and Jake seems a little taller. They hadn't spoken to each other since he left.

Jake laughs, "Pretty sure you already said that."

"Sorry," Parker says, "I just can't believe that you're here."

"I thought I'd check up on you," Jake says, his eyes flicker over her shoulder to Peyton, "On all of you."

Parker smiles and drops her gaze shyly. There was something going on with Jake and Peyton, she wasn't blind to see it, "Um maybe you and Peyton could spend some time catching up?"

"Parker," she hears Peyton say, but she shakes her head.

"Please take her out? Peyton needs you," Parker says, not taking her eyes off of Jake. He nods his head and his eyes go back over Parker's shoulder. She turns around and looks at Peyton, smiling at her, "He's all yours."

It was almost as though she were giving Peyton permission to see her ex, but it wasn't full permission. She had missed Jake and there was so much that they needed to talk about, especially since she could seek closure with Jake before going further with Brooke.

Peyton heads toward Jake, wrapping him in a hug. They wave and Parker closes the door, leaning her head against it and taking a deep breath.

"You're not over him," Brooke says as she takes a seat on the stairs.

"What do you mean?" Parker asks.

"The way you looked at him? Parker, it was like your heart stopped," Brooke says.

"Yeah well Jake up and left without a word and I haven't seen him in months," Parker says, "My heart kind of did stop, that doesn't mean that I'm still in love with him."

Brooke raises an eyebrow, "You were in love with him?"

Parker's eyes widen, "No we weren't there yet. I was just using it to make a point."

"Right," Brooke says, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear, "Can I ask you something?"

"Depends," Parker says, walking over to the stairs and sitting down beside Brooke, "Are you going to question my feelings for you again?"

"No," Brooke says, "Well kind of. Do you ever see yourself falling in love with me?"

Parker had to bite her tongue to stop herself from saying the first thing that came to mind because she was pretty sure she was sort of in love with Brooke already, but it was far too early in the relationship to tell her that.

"Of course I do," Parker says, "Do you see yourself falling in love with me?"

Brooke scrunches her face thoughtfully, "Jurys still out on that," Parker rolls her eyes and Brooke laughs but it morphs into something serious as she nods her head, "I can totally see myself falling for you, Parker. Even if you are stuck on an ex."

"I'm not," Parker says firmly, "I'm in our relationship, a hundred percent."

"I know," Brooke says softly, "That's why you sent Peyton with Jake."

"That and because she needs him. I've seen the drawing in her room. I'm pretty sure Peyton is in love with him and she doesn't even know," Parker says with a shrug, "Anyway, do you want to go upstairs? This isn't a comfortable seat."