three.

It had been a week since Lucas had joined the basketball team and his debut appearance hadn't gone well. Lucas had missed every shot and couldn't catch a pass to save his life. Parker had avoided including anything about Lucas in the article she wrote, but in turn she had to write a lot of stuff about Nathan and her brother.

"The team has been really mean to him," Jesse said as he shoved a piece of toast into his mouth as they sat and ate breakfast.

"That's to be expected," Grace says as she rounds the corner and enters the kitchen. She places her books on the counter and makes her way over to the fridge, "Nathan hates him."

"Will they ever lighten up?" Parker asked, growing concerned for Lucas. She could see how the guys treatment was wearing him down and it hurt her to watch Lucas get down on himself. He was good and he at the very least deserved their respect.

"I don't think so," Jesse said shaking his head, "They're really going out of their way to attack Lucas."

"You don't do anything stupid," Grace said as she pointed at Jesse, "I know you like Lucas, but if you side with him, then the guys might come after you too."

"I can handle it!" Jesse exclaimed, "Lucas is like my brother."

"And Nathan is like your idol," Grace told him, "Can you handle him not passing you the ball?"

"Fair point," Jesse said, his shoulders dropping in disappointment.

Parker looked between her two siblings before standing up from her seat and grabbing her car keys, "I'm going to school."

"See you there," Grace said as Parker headed out the front door.

When she entered the school, Brooke immediately rushed over to her, a grin on her face. Parker looked down at Brooke confused.

"Um hi?"

"Hey," Brooke told her, "So your friends with Lucas, right?"

Parker nodded her head, "Yes."

"He's single, right?" Brooke asked, dimples on display.

"Yes," Parker answered as she stopped in front of her locker. Brooke stopped as well, leaning against the locker next to hers.

"Shame he's not good at basketball, he's really cute," Brooke told her.

Parker laughed as she put in her combination, her eyes moving between Brooke's face and the lock, "I'll be sure to tell him you said that."

"And what about you?" Brooke asked, "Are you single?"

Parker laughs awkwardly, pulling her locker open. It's almost as though Brooke is asking her if she's single because she wants to know, as though it's for her and not for anyone else.

"I am," Parker answers grabbing her books.

"Any prospects?" Brooke asks.

Parker shakes her head and closes her locker. At the same time that she does that, Jake walks by with a wide smile and waves at her. Parker waves back with a small smile, watching as Jake disappears down the hall.

Brooke laughs beside her, and Parker looks at her with furrowed brows, "What?"

"You are so into Jake!" Brooke exclaims, causing Parker's eyes to go wide as she shakes her head vigorously.

"No, I'm not," Parker says.

"Okay," Brooke says, but Parker can see it in Brooke's eyes that she's not going to let this go. Jake was nice and attractive, but Parker wasn't sure she liked him like that.