One

Perrie's POV

I'll never forget the day I first laid eyes on her, and the huge lump that blocked my throat and rendered me speechless in the exact moment.

My mouth went dry and my palms got sweaty. She was beyond beautiful, unlike anyone I'd ever seen, and I was drawn to her like a magnet.

She was a masterpiece.

There were only two things wrong with my reaction to her. For one, she was my step-brother's girlfriend, and two, I've never been into girls. Or at least admitted to myself that I have. I think my mom would have a fit.

The fact that she was dating my step brother had to be against some kind of code, but I didn't even care. There was just something about that woman that caught my eye and never let it go.

Here's how it happened.

I was lying on the couch in my ripped jeans, white cami, fuzzy socks and messy bun watching something on Netflix when I heard Jimmy yell from the bathroom.

"Hey Perrie, I'm getting ready to have company so can you disappear?" He asked.

Disappear? What an ass.

I rolled my eyes and ignored him. I live here just like he does, and if he wanted to make another one of his random chicks think he has his own space, his lazy ass should go get it.

This time he poked his head around the corner with a towel wrapped around his waist and a toothbrush hanging out of his mouth.

"Hey, loser! Go away! I'm having a chick over!" He shouted.

Never mind the fact that it was almost 7pm and he was only just now getting out of bed, he was really annoying me.

"I don't care, Jimmy. I live here too! You need to take her in your nasty room if you want to be alone!" I yelled back.

I could tell he was getting annoyed too, but I didn't care. I shouldn't have to hide in my own house so his dumb ass could screw some random chick.

"God, you're a bitch sometimes." He yelled one last time before slamming the bathroom door.

"And you're a bum." I mumbled to myself as I continued munching on potato chips and watching tv.

An hour or so had passed and Jimmy was now fully dressed and wearing so much cologne that it had me choking on my chips all the way in the living room. I can't believe he's 25 years old and too broke to even take a girl outside of his bedroom at least.

I also couldn't help but think of all the girls who pass through here. What kind of self-respecting woman would come all the way here to sit in a musty room with a guy who couldn't even afford to buy a clue? The self-respect was nonexistent.

I finally decided to get up off the sofa and make myself dinner. Since my mom and his dad were away on vacation, Jimmy and I were left to fend for ourselves.

While I was perfectly fine on my own because that's how I lived in college, he was like a child who needed constant supervision and someone to cook his meals.

I decided on something simple. I made shrimp and pasta. My favorite. By the time I was done eating and back on the sofa, the doorbell rang.

"Perrie, could you get that?" Jimmy yelled from his bedroom.

He sounded like he was running laps in there, as he was probably trying to clean up as quickly as possible.

I mumbled a few choice words under my breath and shuffled over to the door. The bell rang once more before I pulled it open, a bit too forcefully, only to be met with the most beautiful pair of milky chocolate eyes I've ever seen. My breath caught in my throat. I was stunned.