Chapter 189

They drove to Yosemite with the windows rolled down. It was turning out to be a beautiful day and Juice thought the sunlight and fresh air would help Shawn's mood. She had been up and down since Tig left. They spent their morning packing and, once Ally was awake and fed, they left. Once they had passed the Welcome to Charming sign, Shawn sighed to herself. She had thought she'd feel better when they got out of town, but there were some things distance couldn't erase.

Juice looked over to her after a few more miles. She was looking at the window, her hair blowing in the wind, but he could tell she wasn't looking at the scenery. He reached over to take her hand and interlaced his fingers with hers. Shawn looked over at him and smiled, appreciating him pulling her away from her thoughts of the night before. Bringing her hand up to his lips, he laid a gently kiss on her knuckles.

"C'mon," he said lightheartedly. "Relax. We're on vacation."

"Oh, so that's what you're supposed to do on vacation?" Shawn asked sarcastically. She reached into the glove compartment and pulled out her sunglasses to put them on, then looked back at Juice and smiled. "How's that?"

"It's a start," Juice told her.

Ally suddenly cooed loudly from the backseat, making them both chuckle.

"Baby girl seems to approve," Shawn laughed.

"She's biased. You're her favorite."

"I kind of am, aren't I?" She asked feeling a little smug.

"Just wait until she's older. I'll be the favorite because I'll let her do all the fun stuff."

"I don't doubt that at all, actually."

Juice laughed and grabbed his own sunglasses. "There. Now we match."

Juice kept up the conversation, keeping it light so Shawn was smiling most of the way to Yosemite. They arrived at the hotel Juice had reserved a room for them at a couple hours later. After checking in, Juice carried their bags to their room while Shawn carried Ally's carrier.

They entered the room and Juice set their things down on the bed. He motioned to the small crib in the corner of the room. "I requested that online."

"Good thinking," Shawn said as she lifted Ally from her car seat. "Which bag did we put the stuff for her bottles in? She's got to be getting hungry."

"I'll get it. Then we can order room service for us," Juice said as he unzipped one bag. "I was thinking we should stay inside today. Just to be safe."

"That's fine. I'm tired, anyways."

Shawn watched him make the bottle and hand it to her. She sat in one of the chairs and began to feed the baby when Juice's phone began to ring. He pulled it from his pocket and sighed.

"It's Chibs."

"You going to answer it?" Shawn asked.

"You think I should?"

"Up to you."

Juice thought about it for a second, then answered the call as he headed out into the hall to talk to him. "Yeah?"

"Where are you? Tig said you split."

"Yeah, we did. Shawn needed to get away for awhile."

"Now? You needed to get away now?" Chibs asked incredulously.

"I told Jax last night. I'm done, man. I can't keep doing this when she's the one at risk."

"I get that, Juicey. Trust me, I do. I just didn't think you'd disappear within hours of saying it. We need you here."