Chapter 29

Shawn walked into Cara Cara the next morning and was immediately approached by Lyla.

"Did you see that fire last night? It was huge," Lyla told her.

"Yea, I saw it," Shawn said.

"What do you think it was? I thought for sure I'd hear something about it, but no one seems to know."

"I have no idea. House fire, maybe?" Shawn lied. She hadn't heard anything from Juice or any of the other guys, which led Shawn to believe Juice may have been right about it being where they stored their illegal guns.

"That was way too big to just be a house fire," Lyla said skeptically.

"Could have been a propane tank that blew."

Lyla opened her mouth to say something, but was interuppted by Luanne.

"Shawn, our school girl scene needs to be re-edited. I let that new guy do it and the cuts look amatuer as hell. Have him sit with you and show him how it's done. Then get it posted by noon, ok?"

Luanne walked away without waiting for Shawn's answer.

"She doesn't ask for much, does she?" Lyla asked, sarcastically.

"I got to go. This is going to be a busy morning," Shawn answered and walked toward the editing room to track down the new guy.

* * *

Shawn somehow managed to get everything done in the time Luanne gave her, even with having to teach someone else at the same time. After getting the scene posted, she told Luanne she was going for lunch. She gathered her things and checked her phone for the first time in hours on the way to her car. There was a missed call from Gemma. Shawn got in her car and called Gemma back.

"Hello?" Gemma answered after a few rings.

"Hey, it's me. I saw you called. If this is about yesterday morning-,"

"It's not. I'm at St. Thomas."

"Why?" Shawn asked, alarmed. "Is everyone ok? What happened?"

"Take a breath, sweetheart. Wendy was brought in earlier."

"Oh, my God. The baby?"

"They had to do an emergency c-section."

"But it's too early, isn't it?"

"Right. He's 10 weeks premature. They have him in an incubator."

"Ok, so he's in there. That means he'll be alright, right?"

"Why don't you come down here and I'll fill you in?"

"But Luanne-"

"I'll call Luanne."

"Alright, I'll be there soon."

Shawn hung up and drove home first. The last thing she wanted to do was walk into a hospital wearing a little dress and big heels. She threw on the first pair of jeans and shirt she touched as well as her Converse. Shawn ran out of her house so fast she almost forgot to lock her door. She tried to drive there carefully, getting pulled over would take longer than doing the speedlimit would, but she practically was bouncing in her seat from anxiety.

She pulled into the hospital parking lot and went inside. She had to ask someone where to go, but it didn't take long to find Gemma.

"Hey, where's Jax?" Shawn asked her.

"He had to go deal with some stuff."

"Wait, what? His son was just born," Shawn said, a little disgusted with her friend at that moment.

"Yea, because that dumb whore was using the last few weeks. Maybe even longer than that."

"Jesus Christ. So, Jax went...?"

"To deal with the guy who sold her the drugs."

"Oh, my God," Shawn said and shook her head. "Wait, if she's been using, then the baby?"

"That's why he was born early. He also has a tear in his belly from the drugs."

"Poor kid. Can they fix it?"

"They're going to try. If he survives that, then they have to fix his heart."

"What's wrong with his heart?"

"Congenital heart defect. It's genetic," Gemma explained and motioned to the scar she had on her own chest.

"Hold on. What do you mean IF he survives?"

"Doctor's gave him a 20% chance." Shawn felt like she was in shock. She opened her mouth to speak, but couldn't find any words. "Do you want to go see him?"

"Can I?"

"Of course," Gemma told her and led the way down the hall.