Chapter 153

When Juice came back later that night, Shawn had gone back upstairs to the room Nero was lending her. He brought her not only some clothes to change into, but also dinner. Nero kept simple things like bagels and fruit downstairs for his clients that he allowed Shawn to help herself to, but she had really only picked at things here and there since they arrived and only when someone reminded her to. Juice wanted her to eat a real meal.

"Hey," he said when he opened the door. He set down everything he was carrying and handed her the container with her food. "I brought your favorite. Turkey club from Hannah's. I hear bacon has healing powers."

Shawn couldn't help but to smile at him, even if the smile didn't quite reach her cheeks. "Thanks. I'm not sure bacon can handle this, but it's a start."

"Well, that's what the pie is for. And I brought some of your shower stuff, including a towel. I wasn't sure how'd you feel about using a towel from a brothel."

"Smart."

"I figured we could eat dinner, then you could shower, and when you're done we'll have pie."

"I'm not sure I'm that hungry," Shawn said.

"That's an Ortiz growing in there. Trust me, half a bagel with cream cheese and a few grapes ain't enough. My big boy is hungry."

"Your little girl is just fine," she told him, but opened the container and picked up a part of her sandwich, anyways.

Juice sat down next to her to eat his own food. "We get to find out what's in there soon, huh?"

"Depends. Am I going to be allowed to leave here?"

"I'm not going to let you miss doctor appointments, Shawn. They're too important. I will make the whole damn club take you to appointments if that's what it takes."

"Too bad Opie isn't speaking to anyone right now. He's big enough he'd scare anyone away," Shawn joked. Juice suddenly looked awkward. "Oh, God. What?"

"Opie punched Roosevelt while they were taking in Jax, Chibs, and Tig. Now all four of them are on their way to county."

"What the hell is wrong with him?"

"You once punched an ATF agent in the face," Juice reminded her.

"Oh, yeah," Shawn said with a smirk. "That bitch's face was priceless. I wonder what happened to her."

"Opie killed her after we all got locked up," Juice admitted and Shawn choked on a fry she was eating. "Oh, and Opie and Tig killed Georgie Caruso."

"I heard about Georgie dying. Lyla said he committed suicide."

"He did," Juice said. "He climbed into the trunk of his car and shot himself ten times."

"You are all very unbalanced individuals," she said and finished the fry. Then she leaned in and kissed Juice's cheek. "I love you."

Juice looked at her for a moment before he looked down. "Sometimes I wish you'd stop."

Shawn leaned away from him and looked at him in shock. "What?"

"I love you, too. Don't get me wrong. I'd do anything for you. But I keep remembering what Brent said. About you getting killed because of us."

"You're the reason I'm still alive. You've all been protecting me."

"We're the reason you were ever in danger in the first place."

"You're not. My father is the reason I'm in danger. Because he's a hot head who acts first and thinks later," Shawn argued. She reached out and grasped his neck so he'd look at her. "You are not him. You are sweet and kind and smart-"