Chapter 30

Gemma led Shawn into a small room, where a very tiny baby was laying in an incubator. Shawn saw him and took a deep breath.

"Jesus," Shawn said. "He's so small."

"Yea," Gemma relied softly.

"Has Jax seen him, yet?"

"No. He's struggling with this," she told Shawn with a look.

"You want me to talk to him, don't you?"

"He opens up to you more than me. I really think he needs to talk to someone."

"Since when? You refused to send him to that grief counselor the school suggested after Thomas died. I thought talking about our feelings made us into pussies?"

"That's different. He didn't need a shrink back then and he doesn't now."

The door to Abel's room opened, getting Shawn and Gemma's attention. Tara leaned into the room, with one hand still on the door handle.

"Hi, sorry, but Shawn, you really can't be in here. This room is for family members only."

Shawn gave Tara a disgusted look. "Really right now?"

"I'm just following the hospital rules," Tara explained.

Gemma moved to stand in between Tara and Shawn and starred Tara down. "She is family. More than you will ever be. Understand?"

Tara gave a small scoff and rolled her eyes. "Yea."

She shut the door and walked away. Gemma turned back to Shawn.

"That's another reason you got to talk to him. That bitch will twist him up inside if we let her."

"Oh, no no no. No. I am not getting involved with that. You want me to check in with him on Abel? You got it, but I am not getting involved with him and Tara. That is none of my business."

"Really? Because you used to be pretty open about your distrust for that bitch."

"Yea, well, I was a teenager. I thought blue eyeshadow was a good idea, too." Gemma rolled her eyes, but let it go. "Hey, Gem? Did you tell anyone? Ya know, about yesterday morning?"

"No, and it'll stay that way as long as I don't see it, again."

"I... I really like him, Gemma."

"Then hide it better, baby," Gemma told her with a smirk.

Shawn narrowed her eyes. "Wait, what?"

"As long as I don't see it, I won't say anything. I can't tell them about anything I don't see now can I?"

"What made you change your mind?"

"You did. You do deserve to be happy, too, sweetheart."

Shawn stayed with Gemma a little while longer at the hospital and left when Gemma did. Gemma was headed to Jax's place while Shawn went to TM to find him. When she pulled into the lot, she saw Jax on his way to his bike, but he saw her car and changed his direction. Shawn got out of the car and made her way to them, meeting him in the middle.

"Hey, you heading out?" Shawn asked him.

"Yea, I got a minute, though."

"Not in the party mood?" Shawn looked around at the large crowd of people.

"Not so much," Jax said.

"Don't blame you. You know, sick kid and all."

Jax nodded. "Who told you?"

"Your mom. I'm trying really hard to not be mad that you didn't."

"I didn't know what to say."

Shawn's phone buzzed from inside her purse. She started to pull it out. "I get it. Do you want to talk about it now?"

Shawn looked down at her phone and saw a text from Juice.

Damn... you look good.

Shawn smirked, but put her phone away without texting back. She knew Juice could see her and knew she couldn't answer him.

"Do you want to talk about that?" Jax asked her.

"What do you mean?"

"You looked at your phone and smiled."

"Oh, that. No, I don't."

Jax's eyes narrowed. "Who was it?"

"Don't change the subject. Seriously, you ok?"

"I don't know," Jax said, shaking his head. "Did you see him?"

"Yea, I went after Gemma called me."

"How'd he look?"

"He's a little guy, but he's beautiful. You should really go see him."

"I'll try. I'm going to see Wendy right now."

Shawn wrinkled her nose. "Really?"

"Yes, really," Jax said firmly. Then he softened, again. "I'll see ya. Why don't you go get a drink?"

"I'm good. Just want to go home. It's been a long ass day."

Jax stepped forward and hugged her. He kissed her temple right before pulling away and going back to his bike. Shawn went back to her car and pulled her phone out, again, to text Juice back.

Going home. You coming by later?

She started her car and was about to back out of the space, but Juice texted her right back.

Be there soon.